Cimarex Deep Rogersville Shale Test

Cimarex Energy drilled a deep Rogersville Shale test. S.Young farm, permitted 2/28/14. Lawrence county. Permit # 110830. Photo taken 4-14-2014

This was the larger of two flares which had been burning at the same time a few days prior.

This flare is reported as the Second round of flares as production tests a few weeks before were also reported to utilize two flare stacks. Assumption is that they were testing multiple zones in the well.

Ecerpt from :

Story by NOAH BRENNER in Upstream Magazine 7 November 2014

"Cimarex Energy drilled and completed the first modern Rogersville shale test to date in Lawrence County, Kentucky earlier this year using a shell company.

Bruin Exploration, a Cimarex subsidiary according to filings with US securities regulators, at first permitted the Sylvia Young 1 well as a stratigraphic test but later amended the permit to an oil well.

The change allowed Cimarex to production test the well, which is not allowed for stratigraphic tests.

It is likely that the company initial permitted the well as a stratigraphic test because under Kentucky oil and gas regulations, Cimarex could keep secret the logs and other information gathered from the well indefinitely — information from production wells must eventually be released to the public.

Information regarding the completion and production test for the Silvia Young well remains confidential but sources indicated the well was fractured and tested with a flare. The completion report should become public in February.

Meanwhile, sources indicate that Cimarex continues to lease aggressively in the area using land services company Gulfland Appalachian Energy in Lawrence and Johnson counties. "

credit: ironfarmer at Marcellus shale site.

There is another well just starting to be drilled on Little East Fork. I believe it is another confidential well permit but I suspect it is another one into the Rome Shale. They have just about re-built the county road into it along with bridges. Best I can tell it is one of the big rigs for deeper drilling.

Where is Little East Fork I am from Lawrence county and just not familiar with this name and is this another Cimerax well?

Paul said:

There is another well just starting to be drilled on Little East Fork. I believe it is another confidential well permit but I suspect it is another one into the Rome Shale. They have just about re-built the county road into it along with bridges. Best I can tell it is one of the big rigs for deeper drilling.

Little East Fork is first left after you turn onto Route 1496 (main East Fork) from Route 3 in the northern part of the county. Not sure who is having the well drilled as it is one of those confidential permits. I'm sure some day they will apply for a production permit such as the one in this article did. There have also been numerous wells drilled recently in the area into the oil bearing Berea Sandstone. They pump every day.

Cimarex Energy's "Rogersville Shale" Production Estimates?

First Modern Rogersville Shale Well rumored to be a good one.

Production rumored by some to be slightly over 2000 bod for each of 3 zones which is crazy high and multiple industry estimates come in at slightly over 2100 bod for 2 of 3 zones tested which fits well with observations of two rounds of flare tests conducted over two two week periods with a day or two between the two rounds of flares. Industry estimates on the photos of the flare below were 4-10 mmcfd and daylight observers indicated it was smoky flare indicating wet gas.

Based on the two large flow tanks and no more than 8-12 frac tanks on the site there would have been no where to store the large oil flows during the tests so that leaves us with the assumption that the rumored flows were estimates based on chokes and some theoretical number of feet of lateral in a horizontal well.

Should these numbers hold up, even If we cut these flow rates in half leaving a net 2000 to 2300 and use BOED in lieu of BOD, this is definitely shaping up to be a world class play.

Regardless of how they are calculating the flows is does seem like the Rogersville Shale will definitely be a game changer for Eastern Kentucky and maybe the whole Country.

Apparently the test well on Little East Fork is completed as they are now moving the pieces of the drilling rig out. It would be nice to know what and how much was found in that well. Maybe someday we will hear.