Chesapeake withholding royalty payments

Chesapeake is holding my royalty payments. After multiple inquiries, they finally sent an email stating that Wildhorse made a mistake and forgot to multiply my decimal percentage by the “1/8”. They say this went on for 2 years and are now withholding all of my royalties. Has this happened to anyone else.

Do you have a signed division order? Does the decimal amount on your checks match?

Thanks for your response. Yes, the interest is the same on the division orders and royalty statements. We are seeking assistance from a landman and/or attorney. I hate that they can just withhold our money (from all wells, not just the ones with the error) until we prove them wrong.

Be cautious engaging the services of a landman in this instance. They will need a very high level of experience dealing with division orders and payments. You’d be better off with attorney assistance, assuming the amount Chesapeake owes justifies the expense. If you have to take them to court, the attorney will still charge you to verify what you already paid the landman to look at.

1 Like

Yes sir, that is exactly what they told me. Thing is, I believe the original lease for this property was signed some years back by my grandfather when he was dealing with Clayton Williams. I think that we should try to see how many of us they are doing this to and have it looked into.

In later years the oils companies have gone to recording memorandums but based on the age of the lease I suspect the lease is filed in the county. Might you attach the lease so all can see the language that is in dispute?

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.