Checking on old Overriding Royalty

I recently discovered an Assignment of Overring Royalty that was my father's. It is dated October 2, 1958 and is for 1/32nd of 7/8th free overriding roalty interest in said lease.

How do I find out if it is still valid and if the acrerage ever produced?

Hi Tielyn, An ORRI (Overriding Royalty Interest) is a created interest - in other words, it originates from and is created from a source. That source in your case is an oil and gas lease. An attribute of this ORRI then is that it is only valid so long as, (and only so long as) the source lease is valid. So, from the property description you have on the lease, you’ll have to discover whether or not there was any production ever established, get the name of the well(s), track down the Operator (likely there will have been several over this many years). If in fact there was production and there still is, you can take up a discussion with the current Operator as to your interest and any money that may be in suspense.

Kenny, appreciate the quick response. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

You’re welcome… Here is a link to a page that may help you. http://www.mineralweb.com/how-verify-your-oil-and-gas-production-volumes-a-202.html

Tielyn said:

Kenny, appreciate the quick response. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.