Change of Address: Noble, Logan, and Hughes Counties, OK

I understand that an Affidavit of Change of Address needs to be filed with each County Registrar in which mineral rights are owned. But we don’t know the specific steps. Is there a boiler plate document that can be used in Logan, Hughes and Noble Counties? Is the document available online? Can it be submitted to the County Registrars electronically or via USPS? If via USPS, I assume Certified with Return Receipt is recommended? If not, what is the estimated cost to have someone file it for us? Can you provide recommendations for how to locate someone to file for us? Mother moved a couple of years ago and she owns several properties. We want to sell but don’t have the NMA of the properties. We have royalty payments and old lease documents and some old Mineral Deeds but no Lease Offer documents. We’ve been told that Lease Offers list the NMA. We are grateful for any help you can provide.

1 Like

You need to contact the county registrar or clerk of deeds in each county to see what they require for the Affidavit of change of address. When I did mine (in another state) there were rules for paper size, margins, font size, etc. I sent in by USPS certified mail return receipt with a check for payment and included a self-addressed return envelope for the receipt. It is usually a charge for the first page and then a smaller additional charge for any other pages. I kept a copy of everything that I sent in.

The lease has gross acres, not the net mineral acres. You need to contact the current operators Division Order departments and ask for the net acres and description of the acreage for your files. Lease offer documents do not always have the net acreage. Depends upon who was offering and whether their title work had been done properly. If the minerals are not producing, then you need the title documents such as deed or probate.

While you are at it, it could be very useful for you to track down the probate or title documents that gave Mom the rights that she has. The descriptions of the acreage, both non-producing or producing should be there. You may already have the information in the deeds that you have.

See if any of these links are helpful.

Hughes County County Clerk Angela Brooks (405) 379-5487 Hughes County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

Logan County County Clerk Troy Cole (405) 282-0266 Logan County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

Noble County County Clerk Sandra Richardson (580) 336-2141 Noble County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

1 Like

Thank you so much for this information. We have the legal descriptions but not deeds for all the properties. The mineral rights were transferred to our mom and her sister through a trust. Our Grandfather was born in OK and was astute regarding mineral rights. I feel sure he handled things correctly. I actually found the will of our Great Grandmother that lists the legal descriptions of the rights she willed to our Grandfather and his two sisters. No reference to Net Mineral Records though. Unfortunately Mom and her sister didn’t follow his lead. So we don’t have documentation of the properties transferred to them. And at 92 and 87, they have declined some mentally.
It sounds like we need to follow up the mineral rights search by purchasing copies of the documents. We were trying to be frugal and it’s come back to haunt us. Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and experience.

That list is GOLD! The deeds are filed at the county courthouses. You can do a check on the great grandmother’s name and your grandfather’s name and your mom and aunt through www.okcountyrecords.com for many counties. You can also see if there are any probate documents that passed the acreage to the next generation. If there is a trust, then that is good as well. Do you have a copy of the trust? The courthouses have digital files back a certain time, but the rest are in paper but findable. Come back if you need some help organizing.

1 Like

Thank you again for your assistance. I don’t think we have all parts of the Trust. I seem to recall at one point looking for an Attachment or an Addendum of the Trust. Never found anything. I believe our mother had a copy of the Trust but no Attachments. My aunt has a copy but she says there’s no mention of Mineral Rights. And no Attachments.
First thing we are going to do is get the address corrected. Then work on getting copies of documents.
Interestingly, she seems to be getting Royalties from two wells in Noble county. But a search of okcountyrecords.com shows nothing under mom’s name.

The digital files only go back a few decades and it depends upon the county. So she is probably in the paper files. Start with the address change and the operators that are giving royalties. Ask the operators for a copy of the paragraph of the Division Order title opinion that gives your mom’s title history. If you are very nice and explain that she is very elderly and you are trying to get her files in order, they may help. They may want her signature just to make sure the request is from her.

1 Like