Carter County Oklahoma - Advise needed

We own mineral rights in Carter County Oklahoma. They are in T 2S and R 2W sections 11,12,13,24. We live in New Mexico and have never been to Oklahoma. It is on our bucket list. I did some google chrome looking and think I found the area around Poolsville. It appears to have a house or commercial building with large equipment around it. To the east and southeast ,there seems to be some sort of drainage pits.

There was some drilling there around 20 years ago. Since then, there have no offers, although there does seem to be drilling all around. We do not own the surface rights and my concern is that since there does seen to be an ongoing business on the property that the surface rights owner would not welcome any drilling.

Please let be stress that I am not saying that my google search was right on, but it does appear to me that it is.

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Ms. Bradley Apodaca

Ms. Apodaca,

There is activity not far from your rights. You may see something going on soon. What/who is located on the surface has little impact, mineral rights are dominate over surface rights when it comes to drilling an well.

Mineral rights supersede surface rights (are dominant), so it doesn't matter what the surface owner wants, although there are contractual rights that they can get.

It doesn't look like there is much activity in your area right now, but that doesn't mean that there will never be. There is activity close by. You are in a part of OK called the Ardmore Basin, so keep any eye on news articles, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Rick Howell said:

Ms. Apodaca,

There is activity not far from your rights. You may see something going on soon. What/who is located on the surface has little impact, are dominate over surface rights when it comes to drilling an well.

Ms. Bradley Apodaca said:

Rick Howell said:

Ms. Apodaca,

There is activity not far from your rights. You may see something going on soon. What/who is located on the surface has little impact, are dominate over surface rights when it comes to drilling an well.

Mr. Barnes,

Thank you for the information. In particular, the information about the Ardmore Basin.

Best,

Ms. Bradley Apodaca

M Barnes said:

Mineral rights supersede surface rights (are dominant), so it doesn't matter what the surface owner wants, although there are contractual rights that they can get.

It doesn't look like there is much activity in your area right now, but that doesn't mean that there will never be. There is activity close by. You are in a part of OK called the Ardmore Basin, so keep any eye on news articles, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Mr. Howell,

Thank you for the encouraging words We do plan on making the trip to Oklahoma soon. In the mean time, guess we will wait and see.

Best,

Ms. Bradley Apodaca