Can titles be traced down through history?

many of our families mineral rights wells have been around for maybe 100 years. I inherited my minerals from my father about 10 years ago,the wells were dead until 2020 when we leased and now they are producing…my father also inherited these minerals along with alot of other family members and they produced for approx 50 years supporting everybody…when the wells quit producing members started to sell off portions here and there to pay bills. How in the world can i find out the lineage of these titles? Who owns what? I have no idea how much holdings there were in the beginning,like for instance right now, my brother sold his holdings to a stranger so how can people trace that down? Is it possible that owners have been lost and not found and what is the process to find them? thank you…

One can trace title from the time title was first given from the State, the US or a Native American tribe and follow it all the way down to present time. Land professionals do this all the time. You could, in theory, do it. But, in reality, you would need a trained professional to run title.

It’s not inexpensive, but well worth finding a Landman to trace it back to the patent date. I tried to do this myself with help from experienced folks from o&g and even then found it really difficult. And I did pretty well, but couldn’t do it. Spend the money. Hourly rate plus expenses but well worth it,

thank you for your time…my family really appreciate it!

thanks tim i will pursue it further thx for your time, we really thank you!

You seem to be opening a can of worms, question is what are you looking to gain from it? If you already inherited your minerals from your father, that have been producing off and on for 100 years that you are now being paid on, it seems rather straight forward as to what you own? Are you just trying to see what your brother sold for and if the buyer sold it? If you are just looking for lineage of the family, ancestry.com would be a much cheaper option than hiring a landman or attorney to determine your lineage.

hi, the thing is that many children inherited an amount of wells each. Then when they died many more people inherited those wells,some of these wells have been sold back and forth during hard times…there are parts of wells that have been sold and we get a lesser percentage on those wells as now all the decisions are made by other owners, Im not really interested what went on with my brothers sell except you did bring up what he sold for would be beneficial for my records…FYI there is a cousin who has since disappeared who has alot of money in royalties,very sad,anyway , yea i would like the amount that my brother sold for if you know how to get that info…yes, it IS a can of worms but a few of us are wondering if we have some extra mineral rights floating around. you pointing me in the right direction helps alot, thank you for taking your time with me.

1 Like

Title, Title, Title!. Start with your Fathers Name and how he acquired his interest and what his interest initially was. Know the state laws for where the interest is located concerning estates and wills, probates and so on. You are going to also have to create a correct family tree. A lot of things to do, but you have to start somewhere.

Now it gets a bit confusing. Your other family members selling their inherited interests would not affect the interest that you own and theres absolutely nothing that you can do to get those interests back, since they were heirs. The normal decline in oil or gas production or fluctuation in oil or gas prices, leads to decline in monthly revenue but your inherited interest stays the same. What state, county, section are you interested in? Some of the younger guys/girls on here could help you out if you provided that info. The odds of you having mineral rights floating around on the same interest(s) you leased in 2020 and being paid upon are slim to none, but theres always a chance. That chance would have to come from one of your dads siblings passing away post 2020 with no heirs and the interest reverting back to his siblings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.