Caddo County mineral rights, activity and value

Hi all,

We recently inherited from a relative and apparently the estate contains mineral rights in Caddo County. We only found this out because we were contacted by a company who wants to purchase the lease. We are overseas and so have no way of checking with the county courthouse which rights our relatives owned in total. However, this person specifically inquired about 8-11n-12w and mentioned they are purchasing several tracts around it. Are any of you aware of any current plans for this area and do you maybe have an idea for how much we might be able to sell per acre? Thank you for any and all help, we are somewhat lost as this is a subject we know absolutely nothing about.

Dave. I am not sure if it goes into section 8 but there is also wind farms being constructed inCaddo County. I won’t rush into anything. Jim

Caddo County Clerk’s office is a bit of a black hole. One must go there in person to check the land records. Some court records are available online. The key is the have the relative’s name. I agree that you shouldn’t rush into anything. By the way, even if a probate must be done you would not need to travel to accomplish it.

Do wind farms benefit royalty owners or land owners?

A Wind Farm easement if given by the surface owner, The royalty owners have no rights thereto because it is not related to minerals below the surface. Wind farm easements tend to be very onerous and should be carefully negotiated. Wind farm easements provide an owner with income from the greater of an agreed sum per turbine or the wattage produced. There are also land use provisions and restrictions.

Interesting enough, the wind rights can be severed from the surface rights in some states like Texas, just like mineral rights. However, in Oklahoma, that is not the case and the surface and wind rights go hand in hand.

I had a Trust client that sold surface rights in New Mexico but retained the rights to revenues from a Cell Tower lease.
In Oklahoma one could probably sell the land subject to the wind easement and retain the rights to the income. That would be interesting.