Caddo Co. Ok Landman Made Offer Now Not Communicating

We recently got an offer in e-mail to lease our mineral rights in Caddo County, Oklahoma from a Landman named Ryan Newport. Sect 30 & 31-9N-9W. Our share is about 52 acres. We have leased it numerous times over the past 40 years. This time it’s different and it feels odd. The Landman says he’s been working for a company called “Red Ball Express Resources” for six months. I can’t find them online. There is no address or phone number for Red Ball Express Resources on his emailed offer stationary with a logo. So I told him this feels uncomfortable. He said it’s “his own company where he stores his leases.” And maybe it is. The only think we can find about Ryan Newport in Edmond Ok, is his Linked In info, which he has added himself. He also sells health and life insurance. He said he has 7 other businesses. I negotiated our original offer of 750 an acre and 3/16 with a 3 year term and a 2 year option. He came up to 1000 per acre and 1/8 royalty. I told him our family has countered at 1000 per acre and 3/16. He said he thought he “could get them to do that.” He was supposed to tell us the answer a week ago. Nada. Last Friday, he said he was on vacation and would have an answer either way today, Monday. Today has come and gone. This is unlike any of our previous leases. And today in snail mail, we got a letter wanting to purchase. We usually get several of those before we get an actual offer to lease. Has anyone else dealt with a Landman named Ryan Newport or a company called Red Ball Express Resources? We have an offer in email but it feels worthless without communication. Thanks, Robin

Red Ball Express Resources LLC has only been in business since July 8, 2022.

Anyone can call themselves a land man. The only official leases are stored at the county courthouse, so his comment would give me pause.

Personally, I only go for a higher royalty and never a two year extension. The offer of the extension means “speculation” to me. I do not sign a lease that is boilerplate and only in the operator’s favor. Most first drafts are that kind of lease. I suspect that would be what you might see here and this is probably a flipper. Kirkpatrick has permitted a well in 32, so that might be what is sparking attention in 30 and 31. Kirkpatrick is a known operator and has wells in the area. They already have one well in 30, so you might wait to hear from them if they are drilling another one.

There have been no leases filed in that township since 2020. Go slowly and tread carefully here. Listen to your gut.

Believe it or not, this is fairly common. To me it looks like Ryan is trying to flip leases given the recent start of his LLC. He probably is unable to find anyone to assign your lease to given the terms negotiated, which is why he is being unresponsive now.

1 Like

There is a company by that name , rather new. RED BALL EXPRESS RESOURCES LLC

Details Filing Number: 3513154864 Name Type: Legal Name Status: In Existence Status Description Corp type: Domestic Limited Liability Company Jurisdiction: Oklahoma Formation Date: 8 Jul 2022

Registered Agent Information Name: RED BALL EXPRESS RESOURCES LLC
Effective: 8 Jul 2022 Address: 16364 MUIRFIELD PLACE City, State , ZipCode: EDMOND OK 73013

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.