Buying increase in Minerals?

With oil prices up and the Iran war not showing any sign of ending anytime soon, has there been any buying increase in mineral rights?

1 Like

Ehhhhh, it seems to me the pricing has just caused a bigger buyer/seller gap…for now at least. Buyers aren’t wanting to go up as much as sellers think they should go up, etc.

But the longer they stay up the more the tunes are starting to change. Operators “considering options” for the rest of the year (“we could add another rig, but we might not…don’t hold us to it yet”). Initially there was zero change to plans for most operators.

Most royalty owners will see the most increase if their minerals are producing and they’re directly benefiting from the higher prices, or if an operator put in motion some plans to drill on or around their acreage (which would directly increase the offers they’ll receive).

3 Likes

I’VE been contacted by a company making offers for mineral rights. Has anybody else been contacted in the last week? I’m in Duchesne County, Utah.

Yes, I have been contacted too. Twice by the same outfit within a 2 week span. They really want my rights. I’ve yet to reply. Reason being, I’m a new owner/heir. Fractional only. Haven’t even received my owner id yet from Crescent energy. I own rights in 3 wells apparently that I had no clue ever existed. Moon(2) and

Lunar. I looked at production in my section (31) and it’s extremely good. My fractional ownership is small. I’m a 1/6th. 0.003346 nmi. Lease I agreed to was recorded in june. My bonus check was just received. Now they say they are building my file and cannot tell me my owner id yet. Whatever that means.

It can take six-eight weeks to get the run statement for the checks changed when a new royalty owner comes in. Your ancestor had their own particular Owner number, so they need to change to new ones for you and any other heirs.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. That was helpful. My lease was retroactive to January this year. Anyway, Just waiting now . Hoping I end up getting decent past royalties. I’m staying realistic. Odd thing is, I never even knew I had any relatives in Utah. But they knew who I was, tracked me down. I’m learning how these things work more each day. That’s why I’m glad I found this website.

Interesting question. When you say “buying increase”, you mean acquiring additional rights or expanding reserves through purchases?

I’ve seen a few deals like this recently. The price really depends on whether the minerals are proven or just indicated. If there’s recent drilling data, that changes everything.

Also worth checking if the seller has done any updated resource estimation. Sometimes the “increase” is just reclassification of existing resources, not new discoveries.

What region are you looking at? Regulations vary a lot and that affects the actual value.

Curious what others here think too.

1 Like

Here is the Utah GIS map link.

Zoomed into the 3S-5W area. The surface location for Lunar horizontals is in section 31-3S-4W,and the wells go into 36 & 35 of 3S-5W. The Moon wells go the other way into 31.

1 Like

Wow thanks for posting. My wells , the Lunar and the other 2 moon farm wells are looking potentially highly desirable given the great production historically and currently in that same vicinity. Would it be ok to provide my api numbers on this forum? Maybe you can help me. I might be interested in selling my interest later.

Anyone in the buying business can find the API numbers, so best not to post here.

Get your ownership straight and get a few royalty statements under your belt first. Understand what you have and what the potential is. You will be able to see what your income is and what your options are. The first check is likely to be the largest since it has accrued royalties. As those wells get drilled, their first checks will also be large and then they will level out.

Then if you need to sell, you can contact legitimate brokers to get offers. The forum does not allow solicitation, so this is not the place.

1 Like

Fair enough. That’s kinda what I was thinking as well. Makes sense. I’m a fractional owner but I’m thinking like you said, that first royalty check will be decent. The lingo in my lease also states exhibit B 7 excepted and excluded wellbores or wells in my section. I’m guessing I won’t be paid back royalties on those. Those been producing at a huge rate since 2015. Mine are the lunar, then the two moon farm. Three new wells that been pumping since 2025 and 2026. They are also permitting for new horizontals off them. I’m just waiting on the division order now and then I can log in and see my ledger. Thank you for the insight.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.