Brigham Oil

Has anyone out there had any dealings with Brigham Oil? I found their telephone number, but would like a name to ask for. We supposedly have a new oil well on some ground that we have mineral rights on. It is the Papineau well. We know that Brigham leased the mineral rights from us, but haven't heard anything from them. It was out of the confidential list as of July 1.

Thanks for any info.

Bonnie

Dear Bonnie,

As for David Brigham. He is the younger brother of Bud Brigham, the founder and CEO. David is the VP Land and their entire staff is quality from top to bottom.

Buddy, Thanks for your answer. I hate to keep calling them as they seem very busy and don’t have time to get back with messages left. Do you think we are rushing the process? Here is the information we have on the well:

Thanks again, Bonnie

NDIC File No: 18522 API No: 33-053-03087-00-00 CTB No: 118522 Well Type: OG Well Status: A Status Date: 3/3/2010 Wellbore type: Horizontal Location: NENW 17-151-102 Footages: 331 FNL 2078 FWL Latitude: 47.9053087605334 Longitude: -103.767327751328 Current Operator: BRIGHAM OIL & GAS, L.P. Current Well Name: PAPINEAU TRUST 17-20 1-H Elevation(s): 2204 KB 2185 GL Total Depth: 20150 Field: ELK Spud Date(s): 1/2/2010 Casing String(s): 9.625" 2030’ 7" 11268’ Completion Data Pool: BAKKEN Perfs: 11268-20150 Comp: 3/3/2010 Status: AL Date: 5/4/2010 Spacing: 2SEC Cumulative Production Data Pool: BAKKEN Cum Oil: 49929 Cum MCF Gas: 18996 Cum Water: 39979 Production Test Data IP Test Date: 3/7/2010 Pool: BAKKEN IP Oil: 2616 IP MCF: 2554 IP Water: 2880

North Dakota law does provide that if royalties are not paid within 150 days after oil or gas is marketed, the unpaid royalties then bear interest at the rate of 18%. However, this provision does not apply if there is a dispute of title which would affect distribution of royalty payments.

Brigham is an operator in North Dakota with a good group of people. I would keep calling to find out what’s the hold up.

Hi Bonnie. Did you ever hear from Brigham? We are in the same situation, been calling and leaving messages but so far no return call. I also agree that they are extremely busy and hate to continue bothering them with messages. Our well just went off confidential status today (Oct 4th) so we are probably further out in the process than you are. Just curious at what point you heard back from them or if and when you got your division order. Thanks for much! Wishing you the best.

-Victoria

Hi Victoria, Yes, we finally received the division order from Brigham. Our well went off confidential status July 1 … received the division order the end of Aug. and I just received my first oil revenue check around the middle of Sept. There are several of us cousins on the lease, and only two of us have received checks. I guess the thing that takes so long is that they have to wait for the attorneys to thoroughly check out the decimal interests that everyone involved has before they even send out the division orders. I would guess that you are probably about 2 months out on getting the division order. Then I have heard about the attorneys taking longer if estates haven’t been settled or wills probated. Good luck to you. Bonnie

Victoria Reed said:

Hi Bonnie. Did you ever hear from Brigham? We are in the same situation, been calling and leaving messages but so far no return call. I also agree that they are extremely busy and hate to continue bothering them with messages. Our well just went off confidential status today (Oct 4th) so we are probably further out in the process than you are. Just curious at what point you heard back from them or if and when you got your division order. Thanks for much! Wishing you the best.

-Victoria

Thank you Bonnie! I have heard nothing but positive things about Brigham and really hate to continue bothering them so I will assume things are on track. We also have several cousins on the lease so we have all been wondering a little bit about the status. Did they ever call you back or did the division order just come through the mail one day?

Bonnie Simons said:

Hi Victoria,
Yes, we finally received the division order from Brigham. Our well went off confidential status July 1 … received the division order the end of Aug. and I just received my first oil revenue check around the middle of Sept. There are several of us cousins on the lease, and only two of us have received checks. I guess the thing that takes so long is that they have to wait for the attorneys to thoroughly check out the decimal interests that everyone involved has before they even send out the division orders. I would guess that you are probably about 2 months out on getting the division order. Then I have heard about the attorneys taking longer if estates haven’t been settled or wills probated.
Good luck to you.
Bonnie

Victoria Reed said:

-Victoria

Like I said I am sure you are probably 2 months out on getting the division orders. A couple of times I was able to talk to Shirley Franklin, Sr Division Order Analyst, but most of the time just got her message machine and didn’t seem to get an answer back on that. Also, here is her email, which I did receive an answer back on once. sfranklin@bexp3d.com I think there are still some of my cousins that haven’t received their checks, but hopefully they have all received the division orders by now. There is some sort of ND law that the oil co. has to pay before 150 days from selling the oil or they have to pay 18% on late checks. Good luck! Victoria Reed said:

Thank you Bonnie! I have heard nothing but positive things about Brigham and really hate to continue bothering them so I will assume things are on track. We also have several cousins on the lease so we have all been wondering a little bit about the status. Did they ever call you back or did the division order just come through the mail one day?

Bonnie Simons said:
Hi Victoria,
Yes, we finally received the division order from Brigham. Our well went off confidential status July 1 … received the division order the end of Aug. and I just received my first oil revenue check around the middle of Sept. There are several of us cousins on the lease, and only two of us have received checks. I guess the thing that takes so long is that they have to wait for the attorneys to thoroughly check out the decimal interests that everyone involved has before they even send out the division orders. I would guess that you are probably about 2 months out on getting the division order. Then I have heard about the attorneys taking longer if estates haven’t been settled or wills probated.
Good luck to you.
Bonnie

Victoria Reed said:

-Victoria

updates and summary?

Bonnie Simons said:

Like I said I am sure you are probably 2 months out on getting the division orders. A couple of times I was able to talk to Shirley Franklin, Sr Division Order Analyst, but most of the time just got her message machine and didn't seem to get an answer back on that. Also, here is her email, which I did receive an answer back on once. sfranklin@bexp3d.com I think there are still some of my cousins that haven't received their checks, but hopefully they have all received the division orders by now. There is some sort of ND law that the oil co. has to pay before 150 days from selling the oil or they have to pay 18% on late checks.
Good luck!
Victoria Reed said:

Bonnie Simons said:
Hi Victoria,
Yes, we finally received the division order from Brigham. Our well went off confidential status July 1 ... received the division order the end of Aug. and I just received my first oil revenue check around the middle of Sept. There are several of us cousins on the lease, and only two of us have received checks. I guess the thing that takes so long is that they have to wait for the attorneys to thoroughly check out the decimal interests that everyone involved has before they even send out the division orders. I would guess that you are probably about 2 months out on getting the division order. Then I have heard about the attorneys taking longer if estates haven't been settled or wills probated.
Good luck to you.
Bonnie

Victoria Reed said:

-Victoria

Hi Bruce, got my division order in December and my first royalty check this month, it was for four months of production.

Bruce Beard said:

updates and summary?

Bonnie Simons said:

Like I said I am sure you are probably 2 months out on getting the division orders. A couple of times I was able to talk to Shirley Franklin, Sr Division Order Analyst, but most of the time just got her message machine and didn't seem to get an answer back on that. Also, here is her email, which I did receive an answer back on once. sfranklin@bexp3d.com I think there are still some of my cousins that haven't received their checks, but hopefully they have all received the division orders by now. There is some sort of ND law that the oil co. has to pay before 150 days from selling the oil or they have to pay 18% on late checks.
Good luck!
Victoria Reed said:

Bonnie Simons said:
Hi Victoria,
Yes, we finally received the division order from Brigham. Our well went off confidential status July 1 ... received the division order the end of Aug. and I just received my first oil revenue check around the middle of Sept. There are several of us cousins on the lease, and only two of us have received checks. I guess the thing that takes so long is that they have to wait for the attorneys to thoroughly check out the decimal interests that everyone involved has before they even send out the division orders. I would guess that you are probably about 2 months out on getting the division order. Then I have heard about the attorneys taking longer if estates haven't been settled or wills probated.
Good luck to you.
Bonnie

Victoria Reed said:

-Victoria

Has anyone ever received a late pay penalty interest payment from Brigham? After 10 months of a producing well but no payment or division order I called and was told the title attorney had not gotten to it yet. Then they sent a division order after 12 months of first production but said they would not pay interest penalty because a title issue that seems to have corrected itself and I wonder since they are so far behind if they say that to everyone to avoid paying any penalty interest and therefore if everyone has a title issue they have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they get by with it.

Mineral Joe:

I'm no expert on this type of matter but would it help to contact the ND Atty. Gen. office in regards to your problem?

Mineral Joe said:

Has anyone ever received a late pay penalty interest payment from Brigham? After 10 months of a producing well but no payment or division order I called and was told the title attorney had not gotten to it yet. Then they sent a division order after 12 months of first production but said they would not pay interest penalty because a title issue that seems to have corrected itself and I wonder since they are so far behind if they say that to everyone to avoid paying any penalty interest and therefore if everyone has a title issue they have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they get by with it.

I would make them describe the exact nature of this "title" problem. If the title problem was created by them in the first place I don't think it would absolve them of the need to pay, or pay interest on payments past due. If the problem corrected itself, it obviously wasn't your problem with title, since you don't know what has corrected itself. I wouldn't stop until I found out. I hope you won't give up on it either. I hear that ND has passed a law that the oil companies have to pay interest whether you request it or not if you had good title. I think earlier wording of the law left it optional that the company pay interest on payments past due unless you specifically requested that you be paid interest.

R W, I'll have to check on that law if interest payment is not made. Brigham has been very good at answering the phone and talking with me, that's a lot more than most. I was just wondering if anyone else received interest penalty payment from them. They now want me to submit a request for the interest payment and they will review it and make a decision. I am also told there was no title issue with my mineral interest, but it still doesn't sound like they want or will pay without intervention (being forced). I'm not certain who one contacts about such matter Charles.

You may have found someone by now, but if not, I recently dealt with two people from Brigham:

Wayne Massengale - 361-362-5213 (field landman)

Vanessa Mendez 512-427-3300 (I think she's in land accounting but not sure)

Good luck dealing with the old Brigham (they sold out) as they finally paid me royalties 1 year after first production (they are way behind and unwilling to hire help to catch up) but they refuse to pay the 18% interest even though they stated there was no issue with title and just didn't pay because they were too busy. It's never good to deal with a company that thinks they do not have to follow the law.

I guess leases need language that the lease terminates (also language that you don't warrant title and the lessee leases at their own risk) if royalty isn't paid within a certain period of time after first sales. If the lessee won't go for it, don't lease, because obviously they intend not to pay you from the beginning. In the fourth or fifth year of a boom, the fact that you are really busy doesn't wash with me. There has been plenty of time to hire some help.