Bonus recovery

Since the oil boom around 2008 I have signed at least four or five leases but only received one bonus payment how do I recover these payments or can I at all

Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps we need to clarify definitions. “Bonus” is the amount you receive for a paid up lease-essentially the rental for a certain number of years is paid up front. One should never hand over a lease without getting paid at that moment. Sometimes, there is no bonus if you have a very high royalty amount.

The “royalty” is the amount that you receive (according to your lease) if there is a well on your property and it is producing.

If you handed over leases without getting paid, then you may have great difficulty recovering the bonus. More a question for an attorney.

If you are actually talking about royalty payments, then if you give the section, township and range, we can tell you if there are wells on those sections. Then you contact the operator to get into pay status.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.