Biggest Land Grab

Gas companies, with the help of the FERC and eminent domain, have orchestrated the biggest land grab in history. The EIA publishes that gas companies have 8265 bcf of underground natural gas storage space.
Consider the 8265 bcf as a single large balloon filled with natural gas and then calculate the surface area of the balloon. If my calculations are right, gas companies are using the equivalent of 2.8% of the land area of the earth for underground natural gas storage, ALL FOR FREE! with little no compensation to private landowners who are the rightful owners of the underground caverns used by gas companies.

A major problem with underground natural gas storage is the absence of fair compensation to landowners for underground natural gas storage on private property. The federal government, FERC, state governments, and courts have conspired with gas and pipeline companies to illegally take over private property by imminent domain and illegal perpetual leases for underground storage. Gas and pipeline companies make $Millions$ annually with ZERO or minimal compensation to private landowners. Courts have illegally used the wrong paradigm, diminution of surface land value, to determine compensation. The correct paradigm is the value of these scarce underground caverns to gas and pipeline companies.

There are only 415 of these scarce underground resources in the entire USA, as such, these are extremely valuable resources OWNED BY PRIVATE LANDOWNERS. This violation of the 5th amendment rights of private landowners and Native Americans needs to be reversed NOW!!

Gas and pipeline companies must be forced to retroactively fairly compensate landowners for underground natural gas storage. Gas and pipeline corporations are sharecroppers that aren't sharing. For more information see my linkedin group "Fair Compensation for Underground Natural Gas Storage."

1 Like

I am surprised at the lack of recent activity on the Landman Discussion forum…and I’m continuing this conversation that’s been inactive for a year to comment on the nuts and bolts of HOW they store natural gas underground. They do so in a salt dome they wash out a sealed cavern inside with water dissolving some of the salt. Then they transport natural gas to the storage site by pipeline or tanker truck after it has been 4 stage compressed and cooled to form a liquid Natural Gas Liquid (NGL) that consists of butane, propane, ethanes, pentanes, etc…different derivatives of natural gas. This is pumped into the salt dome cavern where it remains until needed. To recover the NGL, salt saturated brine water…called 10 pound brine…is pumped into the cavern displacing some of the Natural Gas Liquid and forcing it back to the surface to be loaded into a pipeline, tanker trucks or railroad cars for transport to customers.
Naturally, such salt domes suitable for such storage don’t exist near many pipelines, railroads, or highway trucking terminals…so where they DO meet all those desirable location tenets…the land owners literally have a gold mine on their land in terms of income potential. I know the land owners of a few such storage sites here in the western Permian and Delaware basins. One of those storage domes was first hollowed out and started storing NGLs in 1947 at Pure Oil Company’s Dollarhide gas plant in Andrews county…and has been in continuous use for 71 years.

, Reeves county, Tx

I have land and mineral rights on Michigan’s largest storage field, like to start my production, Williams group has 6 trillion for envionrmental/ rights related projects? Would you sign a non disclosure agreement and Id like to discuss further with you? tsddawson@yahoo.com 313 277-8727.

Tim… I sent you a private email with my phone number. Let me know what you have on your mind.

, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl::rainbow::ribbon: