Best way to transfer mineral rights in Texas

My father is 72 and wants to transfer the mineral rights on two properties in Texas to me before he dies. He has remarried and wants to keep the mineral rights in the family.

What is the best way to do this?


My advice would be to contact an oil and gas attorney in your area. You can shop around (cost wise) but if you're not familiar with the legalities in transferring minerals, it will probably save you time in the long run.

Damon: We did this a few times and our Estate ATTY handled the documents. I am assuming these are “non-producing” mineral properties. The transfer documents must be filed in the County Courthouse where the mineral properties are located. There was little to no value stipulated in the transactions. I would also advise retaining an Estate or Oil and Gas ATTY for handling matters of this kind. My view is anything dealing with real estate or mineral properties it is best to have legal advice and handling. This should not be too expensive but well worth the expense and peace of mind.