Bent Tree Properties

Does anyone know who they are leasing for in Kansas? I'm getting offers from them, but won't tell me who the client is.

Dear John,

In the past year I successfully completed a six figure lease for an elderly woman client through Bent Tree for Primary Natural Resources for minerals in Custer County OK. I found Bent Tree management tough but fair in designing a lease for the individual needs of my client. They paid by check before I sent in the signed lease. They never put me off with the excuse of "going to their client" and were the most cooperative of the three leasing companies I dealt with there. I found that they are highly regarded by the large independents working out of Oklahoma City. My only problem with Bent Tree and PNR has been follow up recording information but perhaps the lease has not been recorded yet.

I have royalty and working interest in 8 wells in three counties in Kansas and have not had Bent Tree to deal with there but if you send me your legals, I will try to find out what operators are working your area. Kansas is unlike the popular and competitive Shale Play Areas and operators in KS seem to work specific areas somewhat exclusively. Consequently, negotiating a lease is a mater of determining what you want then asking for it both in economic and operational terms. Long term production is what you are really after, I assume, and Kansas is a good place to get it.

Kansas is very competitive right now, Mississippi lime formation. I have minerals in several different counties and my phone is ringing off the hook. Bent Tree is leasing for CHK or Sandridge I think, but I can't get them to tell me. The minerals they are after are in Kingman and Reno Counties. I'm opposed to leasing to one company and not opposed to leasing to another.

John Jameson said:

Kansas is very competitive right now, Mississippi lime formation. I have minerals in several different counties and my phone is ringing off the hook. Bent Tree is leasing for CHK or Sandridge I think, but I can't get them to tell me. The minerals they are after are in Kingman and Reno Counties. I'm opposed to leasing to one company and not opposed to leasing to another.

HI John,

Kingman, Pratt, Stanton, and way out Anderson are my main areas although I have put deals together in other areas. I like dealing with SandRidge and have been successful in not only getting a good "landowner' lease with them but strong, timely production in the the Texas Panhandle. There are some areas where CHK is a real exploration company and good to deal with. However, when they go into a new area like ND, CO, WY, their motives for leasing are sometimes questionable. You may know that the two have some background relationship. At any rate, if your land is in well explored KS counties, like Kingman, I would stick with local operators whenever possible. If they won't play, use lease language that prevents tying up your land forever in exchange for a quick buck.

I have a long time associate who worked geology in KS for Mobil Oil for more than 20 years if you need some of that kind of advice.

John Jameson said:

I am trying to chase down who Bent Tree represents too; although since they are a Landman firm available for hire, I would guess they get hired my many of the major players. Can anyone comment if they are "loyal" to a few of the majors or what their MO is?

I am inquiring about Bent Tree because I have found they were behind a shell company in Michigan that has leased over 80,000 acres over the past year (2 state auctions). Bent Tree was anonymously representing a company called Bayside Energy. But Bayside is a shell too owned by who? Certainly a major gasco, but who?

I hate how these gascos get away with this shell game - it shouldn't be permitted. I can see anonymous bidding at an auction, but afterward should be full disclosure. I also don't accept the idea of landmen anonymously representing a gasco to the private landowner either.

Anyway, if anyone can shed any additional light on Bent Tree and/or Bayside Energy it would be greatly appreciated and helpful. I am trying to investigate a gas play in Michigan that collapsed from $2000 an acre to $25 an acre in the past year; yet 100s of thousands of acres continues to get leased through the state; mostly by "ghosts".

Thanks,

Wilson

Chesapeake

its chk.....Sandridge isn't in the lime very large right now, We pulled the majority of the leasing when a loose group called top dollar poorly misinformed the mineral owners and made it very difficult to lease in the area. I however stayed in touch and am now leasing for several large clients.

Definitely not CHK. Tom, Sandridge is the largest player in the miss. Bent Tree assigned all their leases to WCT (ward childrens trust) Tom Ward of Sandridge, then WCT assigned to Shell Gulf of Mexico. At least that is what happened in Kingman County. Tom do you work for a broker/land company? I have a lot of unleased minerals in Kansas. If a company name Top Dollar approached me I would laugh at them, how original.

Yes , I am working for a broker and am also a broker myself. I have many clients who I assign leaseholds too. In Oklahoma I work for Bonanza/ Bearcat Land. When in Kansas I am working for Nomad Land & Energy, We currently are brokering over 70k acres in Kansas over 10k acres in Sumner alone.

What is the going rate in Sumner? I had 20 net acres I leased to CHK at $650 a few month ago, of course haven't been paid yet. I have some mins in Kingman, Reno, Ness, Lane, Hodgman, and Rawlins. You working any of those counties? I'm kinda playing the waiting game right now, I've got offers in most of those areas from Sandridge.

I actually work all of those counties. But honestly as big as most of the companies are it takes usually 30-60 days and 30 is usually considered fast. I am usually fast but even some of us have bad weeks. I think once the story gets out that a lot of bad leases were take by a company its going to be taking even longer now that they will be running the title twice. But it's better than having to give money back. But, I digress , Sumner is leasin pretty steady at $500-650 per ac depends where you are, but it's almost gone and even chk is pulling out. So it will cool down. Ness and lane cheap,,,,is at $50 acre,(I know , I know ...I am sure people have been paid more... But many have been paid less as well,,,Thats what it is worth right now in my opinion) Kingman is usually 375-650 depends on where...some $250, Reno is pretty gassy so cheap. Depends on where but unless you knw what they are doing be careful. I know alot of people that have been playing the same game. And I hope it turns out good, He is a Smart guy and is letting me market 8,800 acres in Sumner. So that will tell but, I am a little worried.