Bayou Meto Area

Hello all! I have a question regarding the Bayou Meto area. In the 1950’s the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission condemned 6,000 acres in the Bayou Meto area to create a refuge. The owners at the time were allowed to maintain ownership of the marketable timber on the land and the mineral rights with stipulations as to how the land would be tested and harvested for minerals and wood. On April 18, 1956 mineral rights to 2,051 acres were transferred to my late grandfather. Would this be something that my family should look into claiming?

Thank you in advance for any help or input.

The answer would depend upon how much you want to invest in time and money in getting it transferred to the heirs. If a will was already properly probated and filed through the subsequent generations, then you may already be listed. If not probated, then would need to be done. If intestate, then that procedure must be followed. Probably should check into the current situation regarding the refuge as the rules may have changed. Arkansas is not a hotbed of drilling activity at this time and drilling in refuge areas is generally limited depending upon the laws of the state or feds.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.