Bankruptcy and Other Court Notices

What do I do with all the bankruptcy filing notices I’m receiving? Do I need to keep them and file them away? If so, where? With the deeds? With the DOs? Do I throw them away? I don’t know what to do with them. Seems pointless to keep them if the companies are nonexistent and someone else will pick up the operations.

What about the “relief sought” notices? Are those something that should be filed or trashed?

I’m super new to this and very overwhelmed. I’m just trying to get a handle on all the paperwork. My grandmother passed rather unexpectedly and it turns out my grandfather is unable to -has been for awhile- take care of or keep up with the business. I’ve sorted things into piles but that’s it so far. There’s a stack of DOs going back at least a year and half and I don’t know if any of them were ever signed and returned. Anyway, I just wanted to start with a small and simple question: what do I do with the bankruptcy and relief sought notices?

Annie-

I’m sorry for the position you have been put in.

Keep everything until you feel you know what you are doing. Even though the company is bankrupt, they will either reorganize or sell your lease. There is a bankruptcy thread in the NARO group you may want to follow. You may also want to investigate NARO and join, as they have a lot of educational materials for mineral owners.

On the DOs, can you tell if they were signed and sent in? If yours are marked “Copy” or similar language, that usually indicates the original was signed and sent in.

Match up the Dos with the checks you are receiving to see if there are wells you may not be getting paid on. Also check them against your tax statements if you are in a state that taxes mineral properties. Learn how to navigate the online map in your state and locate the properties you know exist, and then look for wells you are not being paid on that way also.

It is a process. Think of it as land you inherited and you are learning to manage a shopping center with tenants. You own an interest in land that has oil and gas companies as tenants.

Here is the link for the NARO bankruptcy thread and good luck! - Oil Company Bankruptcies and Info - #124 by M_Barnes

So sorry to hear about your loss. Many of us have found ourselves in that situation. It can be overwhelming, but you will catch on.

On the bankruptcy files, sort them into piles by company and by date. I put the newest ones on top and put a big binder clip on the whole set. I keep them filed separately because you may have one company that affects more than one well. Make a note as to where the bankruptcy was filed-Texas or OK or another state. If filed in OK, then you may need to deal with them, but not an emergency as royalty owners are usually protected. If filed in TX, then you need to watch more carefully as you may need to file. Once they are settled, you can keep the final orders part but throw away the tons of early notices parts except for the ones that have dates on them that you may need to have filed for relief. Many of the TX ones also rule that mineral owners are a qualified class, so you may not have to worry about them either. For now, don’t throw anything away until you get settled and on top of things.

For the files. See if your grandfather has any other files with the deeds, old correspondence, leases, old DO, etc.
We file our documents by state, county, township-range-section (OK or ND, etc) or by abstract (TX, etc.). I make a folder for each tract of land. I put everything in chronological order with oldest at the back. The division orders should be pretty close to the top.

Look at the DO. If it is a copy, then file in the correct folder with that description and make sure the decimal number matches the check decimal number. If you do not have a matching check, then put a sticky note on it because you will need to keep an eye out for the checks or follow up. If the DO is original, check the state. If Texas, then your grandfather will have to sign it (if he is the owner) and turn it back or you don’t get paid. Send by certified return receipt mail and keep a copy in the file. I am not fond of TX Division orders as many try to change the terms of the lease. I use a letter or the NADOA form and a W-9 instead. 0_NADOA_Division Order Model Blank Form 2017v 2.pdf (78.2 KB)

Oklahoma does not require that a DO be returned. But I do send a letter or the NADOA form back so they will not take out Federal income tax and so I have a record of the correct decimal amount. Do not assume they are right (we can come back to that).

The Division Orders are probably more important the the bankruptcy notices at the moment. Get both sorted and then plunge into the DO first to see which ones you have to send in and which ones you do not. Contact your grandparents’ attorney and accountant to get things rolling on the estate of your grandmother. It can be very easy or it can be complicated. If the minerals were in her name, then the DO is a bit more complex as the operator will need the probate documents. If the minerals are in your grandfather’s name only, then you may need help from the attorney to see if you can help him sign if he has enough clarity or if he needs a Power of Attorney designated to take care of his legal affairs. One way or another, getting organized is the first step. If the minerals are held jointly, then how they are titled will matter from state to state and you need to get an attorney involved to make sure you do everything correctly.

Have they been cashing their checks? If so, make sure that you keep all the statements that go with them-for seven years. Keeping the oil business part straight while you are dealing with probate is a challenge (been there, done that), so keeping things in good order helps. The 1099-MISC are starting to come in now, so keep all those and be ready with them for taxes.

@M_Barnes thank you so much for your reply.

This is exactly how they filed things. It has made things somewhat easy. Although, I’m just now to the point of working on all of this. I haven’t really begun to tackle the OG stuff because I was most concerned with his day to day well-being. Now that I know he is safe and settled, I’m moving on to the business. My plan is to call all the companies on the DOs and ask what the status is and what I need to do moving forward. I know for things in my grandmothers name, they will probably have to wait until the estate is setup before I can sign them or whatever.

We have decided to put everything into an LLC to make my life easier down the road. My grandfather will get everything in my grandmothers name and then everything will be transferred into the LLC. I have a feeling this will be a long process. Like I said above to @Wade_Caldwell, I’m learning by walking through the fire. I’m so glad I found this forum and the NARO.

@Wade_Caldwell Thank you for your advice. I actually found this forum thru the NARO website, which was recommended to me by a colleague of my grandmothers when I reached out to ask if there was someplace out there that gives people like me an education on all this stuff. She and my grandmother were both presidents of the NADOA. I’m glad to have found these websites. I did join the NARO and hopefully I will receive the education I so deeply feel I need.

I’m literally learning by walking through the fire. I did finally get all the paperwork sorted and organized. I now need to learn how to read locations on deeds and division orders. I cannot tell if the DOs I found were signed or not. I know from watching them work when I was younger, that they always kept or, made a copy of all the DOs. I just don’t know about these. Some have original signatures but there is only one copy… Maybe they sent them in. I’m not sure. I’ll have to dig…

I was able to create a spreadsheet of producing properties (in TX) based off of info I got off txfile. I’m hoping there is something like that for all the other states. Fingers crossed…

Once again, thank you so much for your response.

Condolences for your loss :heart:

Sound advice above and I agree. You’ve got this!! I’m of the belief learning by doing is the best way to gain understanding, anyway.

That’s interesting about the NADOA regarding your grandmother. I honestly just love hearing stories of women in the industry in general.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.