Applying to oil and gas. Is there a possibility of jobs outside of oil and gas?

I have two years of chemical engineering experience in oil and gas. I may have a new job coming up working in oil and gas. But I worry that I will be pigeon-holed into the industry. Especially because oil and gas is a slow dying industry.

Is it possible to move out of oil and gas in the long run?

If you have a job in the oil & gas industry, work hard, learn as much as you can, network, keep up with industry trends, spend and save wisely, volunteer in the community. Oil & gas will be around for a while (in my opinion) although I think it will eventually decline. As trends come and go, keep looking forward with what your training can do to allow you to explore other avenues. You may want to get an extra degree or specialize in carbon capture or something else energy related.

1 Like

I drilled for 15 Years , pumped for a while, even wire line servicing , ,but have little legal experience with mineral Rights. I’m trying to learn though , because I also believe the oilfield Will out last My lifetime by a lot. Thank you :heart: to everyone for the help y’all have given me. Scott Andrew

I work in green/infrastructure projects and we just hired a geologist from a big oil company. Project management experience is highly transferrable. The geologist we hired was also somewhat bearish on the oil and gas industry.

If it is true that college kids increasingly disdain the O&G industry, then maybe demand for skilled O&G professionals will actually increase in the future. Seems like 98% of the college kids I encounter are heading into medicine.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.