Anybody know a landman by the name of John S. Geyer?

Does anybody know a landman by the name of John S. Geyer? His company name is TEC. He probably comes highly recommended, but I can’t find much about him. Any info would be much appreciated!

Lisa, John S Geyer was VP land for fidelity exploration and Production, based in Denver at least 2002- 2005–

Couldn’t find anything else in quick search. There may be more on Linked in.

Fidelity Exploration & Production Company describes itself as engaged in natural gas and oil acquisition, exploration, development and production activities in the Rocky Mountain and Mid-Continent/Gulf States regions of the United States.

Fidelity is part of the WBI Holdings family of companies which provide essential services to the energy industry and is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of MDU Resources Group (NYSE: MDU), a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P MidCap 400 index.

In addition to Fidelity, WBI Holdings family of companies includes:

• Williston Basin Interstate Pipeline Company
  • Bitter Creek Pipelines
  • Total Corrosion Solutions
  • Prairielands Energy Marketing

Thanks Penny, that was nice of you! We finally got a resume on him yesterday, so many questions have been answered–all good!

penny rudolph said:

Lisa, John S Geyer was VP land for fidelity exploration and Production, based in Denver at least 2002-
2005–

Couldn’t find anything else in quick search. There may be more on Linked in.

Fidelity Exploration & Production Company describes itself as engaged in natural gas and oil acquisition,
exploration, development and production activities in the Rocky Mountain and
Mid-Continent/Gulf States regions of the United States.

Fidelity is part of the WBI Holdings family of companies which provide essential services to the
energy industry and is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of MDU Resources Group (NYSE:
MDU), a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P MidCap 400 index.

In addition to Fidelity, WBI Holdings family of companies includes:

* Williston Basin Interstate Pipeline Company
* Bitter Creek Pipelines
* Total Corrosion Solutions
* Prairielands Energy Marketing

Sorry I'm way late to this message but I have seen John Geyers latest agreement and he calls himself AEI for Avalanche Energy,Inc. I haven't heard much to praise him for I just know he brokers his knowledge to people who are seeking help understanding leases for a $$fee that some people might believe comes out of the mineral owners pocket instead of the oil companies expense. Do your research here. Lots to learn.

Don

John Geyer owns his own company named Avalanche Energy, Inc. (AEI). He does consulting work for independent oil and gas companies and represents mineral owners in negotiating leases on the side. He has over 30 years experience in the oil and gas industry, last position was VP of the Land Dept. for Fidelity Oil, and has an exceptional reputation. He does not broker his knowledge for understanding leases. He represents mineral owners in negotiating a lease to protect the mineral owner. He does not advertise his expertise for this. He gets referrals by word of mouth. He is very fair and has integrity, unlike some landmen who have invaded Elbert County. Yes Don, do your research. This man comes highly recommended.

Debbie,

This is obviously the person your group got to help you negotiate your leases. That is great! If you find oil and are paid royalty you are not done paying for his sevices or reputation. Just have a different way of looking at things and thought other people would like to hear a differing opinion from what I have heard from people who have seen his plan. Everyone has choices.

Don.

Maybe so, but he also represents you for the term of the lease. If the royalty is more than you would've got on your own, plus the protections you want in a lease, plus someone who knows the business representing you all the way, I don't see any problem with that at all. You get what you pay for. Just saying you should research before posting something that is not true. Best of luck to you.

DON Jones, have you seen some sort of contract or terms this landman is charging the mineral owner? would love to know. what kind of set off a flag in my mind is when Debbie said that he represents the owner for the full term of the lease. What is there to be done after the lease is signed? I understand if they gain production there is a division order but what is he doing once lease is completed? If that cannot be answered then it sounds like a marketing ploy that someone might use with the “not so savvy” owner; Is he AAPL?

Dear Ms. Wilbanks,

Flags were set off in my mind as well.

As someone who does represent landowners, there can be many items to deal with post lease, especially if the lease is a professionally crafted lease set up to more favor the landowner. Some of these items could include:

1. Data License Agreements - and negotiation

2. Surface Use and Access Agreements - and negotiation

3. Right of Way Agreements - and negotiation

4. Representation at forced pooling hearings

5. Representation at spacing hearings

6. Review of title opinions

7. Review and likely re-drafting of Division Orders

8. Preparation of Transfer Orders

9. Demand for compliance under various provisions of the oil and gas lease

10. Review of pooling agreements to ensure compliance with lease terms

11. Review of lease terms and demand for releases as to outside acreage (either outside unit or outside retained acreage provisions)

12. Monitoring ad valorum taxes

13. Verification of 1099's sent - both prior and post production.

14. Evaluating requests for lease form changes made by the lessee.

15. Ensuring rentals are property and timely paid.

16. Ensuring shut in payments are properly and timely paid.

17. Monitoring royalty payments to ensure that they are being paid in compliance with the lease terms.

There are a few more, but these are the ones that I personally deal with on a regular basis.

Stephanie Wilbanks, CPL said:

DON Jones, have you seen some sort of contract or terms this landman is charging the mineral owner? would love to know. what kind of set off a flag in my mind is when Debbie said that he represents the owner for the full term of the lease. What is there to be done after the lease is signed? I understand if they gain production there is a division order but what is he doing once lease is completed? If that cannot be answered then it sounds like a marketing ploy that someone might use with the "not so savvy" owner; Is he AAPL?

Stephanie,

I don't remember his exact credentials but I would assume he is or was a member of AAPL.The contract to the landowner I saw set a base bonus $ amount and a base royalty %. He would negotiate for better terms along with other lease issues. IF he negotiates anything over and above the base amounts set in his agreement with the landowner HE would get 25% of the difference in the bonus negotiated to the base and the landowner would get 75% of the difference. HE would also get 25% of the difference of the base royalty to the negotiated royalty and the landowner would get 75% of the diff. That is what I meant by the ongoing cost of his efforts. That I personally did not want. So yes that would be a division order that still continues past the lease signing as if you were sharing your royalty with... whoever. Although it would be a minuscule amount it is still there. So if that doesn't bother you than you have an avenue for negotiations. IF no negotiations resulted in any better terms than the base he would get a flat fee of ,I think , $250.oo for trying. These are just my opinions from what I saw!

Don

THANKS BUDDY for all that! Don

From other sources in the O&G industry, I have learned that the they
have been fracing for years and years in the USA, and have had little
problems with this process. So I am not as fearful of having the industry drilling as I used to be. It could be a relief from having to rely on the OPEC nations and to rely on our own resources.
Just thought you'd like to know that I decided to look at John Geyer's website on 'Avalanche Energy, Inc.' and this was the only thing close to what I looking for (I googled the company name). We too are in contact with this person, and truly would like to know a lot about him prior to signing anything.
Avalanche Energy Ltd/Ice Energy Ltd.
Avalanche Energy Inc. was a private company founded in 1997. The company successfully executed a strategy of exploring for and developing shallow gas pools in east central Alberta. Avalanche was sold to Centrica PLC in 2001. The original founders of Avalanche moved on to form Ice Energy Ltd., a private start-up oil and gas company focused on southwest Saskatchewan shallow natural gas exploration. After only two years of operation, the company was sold on an attractive basis to Enerplus Resources Fund.

Jeanne,

You have found a different company in Canada, not the Avalanche Energy, INC. which Geyer owns here.

Don

Yes, I understand Don, and as mentioned, this is all I could find…Jeanne

Don Jones said:

Jeanne,

You have found a different company in Canada, not the Avalanche Energy, INC. which Geyer owns here.

Don

Our experiences with Geyer have been excellent! I have no regrets whatsoever about hiring him. I enjoy the sense of security knowing I’ve got someone “in my corner” for the long haul. He is continually emailing us with important bits of information, such as how to sever our rights if we so desire, and tax issues, among others. Very shortly he will be helping us with the seismic contract.

Can anyone that has worked with or seen a contract with John Geyer explain to me how he takes the difference in the royalty? Does the mineral owner convey him a Non Participating Royalty Interest?

I take 25% of the difference between the royalty that was initially offered to you and the royalty, hopefully higher, that I am able to negoitiate. By way of example, if you were offered a 17.50% royalty and I am able to obtain a 20% royalty, I would be assigned 25% of 2.50%, being 0.625%. If I am unable to obtain a higher royalty than you were initially offered, no assignment of interest would be made. The assignment is a Term Royalty Assignment for the life of the Lease. When the Lease expires or terminates, the assigned interest terminates.

Jennifer Collins said:

Can anyone that has worked with or seen a contract with John Geyer explain to me how he takes the difference in the royalty? Does the mineral owner convey him a Non Participating Royalty Interest?