Any oil and gas activity

Hello - I’ve been visiting this forum off/on for a couple of years trying to increase my knowledge about the mineral rights/drilling activity in Kingfisher County. I finally joined the forum so I could for any insights about mineral rights I was gifted several years ago by my father: NW/4 SE/4 & S/2 S/4 of Section 7, Township 18 North, Range 8 West. For a few years we received court/drilling notifications and leasing offers from oil/gas companies but I have not seen/heard anything in the last three years or so… Has there been any activity in this part of Kingfisher county? I thought I heard natural gas exploration was possibly fruitful, but I’m not sure if it was from a reliable source (and I can’t find that source now!). Trying to gather information so I can decide if I should stay-put, lease, sell, etc. Thank you for your help!!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, there has been activity. The Dr J 1808 701UOH was drilled in 2017. Gastar drilled it but Chisholm is the operator now . If you are not receiving royalties, then you need to contact them. The well was spud in section 67, so you can find it on the OCC wellrecords site.

http://imaging.occeweb.com/imaging/OGWellRecords.aspx

Type in 0618N08W in the location box. Scroll down and you will see the well. Form 1002 is the completion report. Form 1073 is the change of operator. Scroll down and you can find the Chisholm contact information. If they couldn’t find you, they couldn’t pay you. They may owe you a pooling bonus if you did not lease in 2017 or slightly before. If you inherited recently, they may not know about you.

Thank you for the information! Yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if my contact info has been lost over the years. My father gifted to me in 2009 and I’ve moved around a couple of times since then… I’ll reach out to Chisholm and see what they say, hopefully it’s good news! :slight_smile:

It is the mineral owner’s responsibility to file change of address in the county courthouses where they have minerals. Otherwise, the operators cannot find you to pay you! Do contact Chisholm and give them your information, but file at the courthouse as well. Call the oil and gas mineral clerk and ask what format they would like it in. They do have requirements and it is very inexpensive.

1 Like

Me again! I’ve successfully submitted my contact information to the county, but still trying to get a hold of someone at Chisholm to see what things look like from their end.

As I’ve continued digging through old paperwork, I do have a couple other questions, curious if you or any contributors might have some additional insights:

1. Prior to my father gifting the mineral rights to me, he had paper work that appeared to show activity (2008/2009) by a company called Anadarko, possibly related to wells/supply called Mississippi Solid and Hunton? Later in 2015 it sounds like Gastar was interested in the same wells/supply, plus Woodford. All this activity appears to have been in or around Section 7 18N 8W, but I haven’t been able to tell if anything came of it. Any tips where I could find out? Doesn’t sounds like Anadarko is still around.

2. What is the best way to go about finding original copies of mineral interest deeds or other artifacts? As I understand it, my dad inherited the mineral rights from another family member before gifting it to me, but he does not have any sort of original deed or other document that describes his share/interest.

Thanks again!

Frank, you will find land records back to July 1988 here. Kingfisher County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

You can find probate records for Kingfisher County here. https://www.oscn.net/dockets/

If there is a missing probate or deed from your father’s ancestor, then it is likely that a probate will be needed for that individual.

1 Like

Richard answered your second question.

You can find well activity for free in two places. The OCC wellrecords site posts wells by surface location, so check the sections contiguous to your section of interest. For example, the Dr. J 1808 1-1UOH has a surface location in 0618N08W. It was drilled in 2017 by Gastar, but was sold to Chisholm in 2019.
http://imaging.occeweb.com/imaging/OGWellRecords.aspx

The OK tax site will list production and status of wells. They tend to post by bottom hole location. Use leading zero for single digit items. 07 18N 08W The Dr J 1808 7-1UOH and Hajek 1 appear to be active. Dr J is spaced at 640 acres, so would give you royalties. Gastar is listed as the operator, but they are bit behind as it was sold to Chisholm. Hajek is spaced at 160 acres in the NE4, so if you are in that quarter, you may have back royalties. The well has not had any production in the last 12 months.
https://otcportal.tax.ok.gov/gpx/gp_PublicSearchPUNbyLegal.php

1 Like

keep in mind that finding the original document is not important. Once the instrument gets recorded in the county, one can throw the document away, light it on fire, etc. The recorded instrument is what you want.

1 Like

In theory that might sound OK since the latest document may be the most important but my experience over the past several years is that you had better keep everything for as long as you own the minerals maybe a few years after that if you sell because of taxes and other matters. Even though I’ve sold mine some matters are still coming up and I’m glad that I have records going back all the way to the originals. Better to be safe than sorry and less expensive also if you have to hire someone to do a records search!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.