Angelina County mineral rights info

I recently received offer to purchase mineral rights on 184 acres in Angelina county, tx on unleased land for 4,200 per acre. No other wells within 3 or 4 miles. I am a completely new to this. I need some advise.

It is likely worth much more. Are your minerals under lease ? In producing wells? The survey and abstract is needed.

A-656, Wilkinson M survey. It is not under lease, we own all mineral rights. No producing wells.

Why don’t you ask neighbors if they have been contacted . The buyers usually have more information.

I talked several neighbors, none have been contacted. Only one has mineral ownership. The Landman never mentioned leasing. I assume he knows something I don’t.

You can bet on that.

Remember, in all likelihood, he’s/she’s just a messenger. Rarely is the person talking to the mineral owner the one that determines what values are offered.

1 Like

As you probably know Aethon has been the big player in Angelina County for the last two years. They’ve completed a bunch of strong Haynesville wells and are continuing to add leases and file more permits.

So far they’ve been focused on the area north of Hwy 69 extending on through Nacogdoches County. It looks the closest big wells they’ve drilled are about 4 miles northeast of you but folks may be speculating on Aethon’s area of interest expanding your direction. The parts of Angelina that have both Bossier and Haynesville potential could particularly be in demand if the nat gas market improves.

2 Likes

That offer is probably in line with how speculative of an area your land is located in. I mean, it’s a low trade price but I don’t know a lot of groups looking to invest in fringe minerals in Angelina county. I bought some stuff 10 years ago for like $2500/acre and its just been sitting.

My advise is to hold unless the money will change your life. I’d be surprised if you find someone willing to pay much more than $5K/acre in that area. If action moves closer to your minerals the value will only go up. Worst case, nothing changes from development standpoint and you sell for same price down the road.

VG-1 - too low. Keep your minerals since future royalties can be lucrative. There’s drilling activity just north of Huntington.

1 Like

Make sure you know ahead of time what the total they intend to pay you. You need to know how many net mineral acres they intend to pay you for. Don’t sign or agree until you have a check in hand!

I have taken all paperwork to my attorney, hired a geologist to evaluate my location and met with my cpa. The initial offer was on a Black Stone letter head and signed by independent land man. They have increased their offer and the head of venture and acquisitions with Black Stone has contacted me. Here is the part I don’t understand, the cashiers check will come from the land man. Black Stone will purchase from him, allowing the land man to retain part of the mineral rights. I believe the land man and Black Stone ownership have a personal relationship. Many people say never sale your mineral rights, but 50% of mine were inherited in the last year. There would virtually no taxes on that 50% because of step up basis. I know very little about oil and gas, but I manage money for a living.

VG-1, your attorney should answer this question. Good luck on the sale. Disregard my deleted post.

Then maybe only sell that 50% for tax purpose and keep another 50%. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.