Andrews Cty. TX and Lincoln Cty, OK--mineral rights basics

For years our mother has received modest (avg. $ 750/yr) royalties from interests in Andrews County primarily from J. Cleo Thompson of Dallas. The names West Means and Mollie Groom come up in my research. Also : Tract 5 which consists of the south half of the northeast quarter, and the northeast quarter of the northeast of Section 7, Block A35, Pubic School Land Survey, Andrews, Texas.

As the equal co beneficiaries of our mother's estate, my brother and I are gathering any information we can to furnish an estate lawyer soon. It is likely that legal fees pursuing the transfer will far exceed the revenue from this interest.

To that end I am spending time now trying to gather as much information (from Andrews Cty. Appraisal District, County Clerk, tax rolls). If anyone who has been through a similar experience has a suggestion (short of giving legal advice, of course) please pass it on.

Additionally, in 1999 I signed a 3 year lease on another interest in Lincoln, Cty. Oklahoma. There has been no activity in 18 years.

Thanks in advance.

What is your question?

Good luck,


My post was rather rambling. Sorry. My question is: what should I try to obtain or collect now to minimize the time a probate lawyer will spend getting these interests in our names after our mother passes.

File a copy of her probated will with the Andrews County Clerk. Then, speak with the company that has been paying the royalties and see what they will want from you to transfer the property. Likely, a copy of the will, letters testamentary and you should receive a division order from them. It is really simple, but can be frustrating. More time than dollars. If you have a copy of the probated will and letters testamentary, you don't need a lawyer to do this.

Thank you for the suggestions. Good advice.