Am I still under lease?

Corterra had my mineral rights leased for three years with a two year option. The three years expired April 29, 2020. I have never heard from them since. Does this mean that I am no longer under contract and free to lease to someone else? Thanks, Barn

Yes. In the absence of drilling activity, your lease expired and your minerals are considered OPEN for leasing.

You might try contacting the lessee and requesting that they provide you a notarized release that can be recorded in the county deed records so anyone checking your interest will see that it is open/available for lease.

Obtain releases has gotten harder, specially with companies reducing staff and many going out of business but still worth a try. I’ve started adding it as a requirement in new leases.

Is Corterra still in business…or in bankruptcy?

Corterra is still in business. I spoke with someone there Friday. They are producing a few wells. I don’t think they are doing any drilling right now. Getting information from them is now and has always been difficult at best. I tried to get my address changed for three years and their mail is still going to my old address.

Thank you so much for your response. My well is in Section 28, T-07 N, R-09 East Hughes county. I have been receiving a small royalty but expect each month to be the last. Thanks again and good luck with your address change. Wyogirl

Make sure you send any address change to both the Division Order department and the Revenue dispersement department and they may not talk to each other. Also, make sure any address change is also filed in the county courthouse. They have a special form to use.

Your horizontal wells in 28-7N-9E are nice gas wells and they can last for a long time if there are no mechanical troubles. (Not promising)

If your original DO was for a minimum of $100, you can turn in a new one and ask for $25. As time goes on, that will get you more regular checks as the volumes diminish.

Thanks for ALL the above information!

M Barnes. Thank you so much for this information. I will get right on that. Again…Many thanks. Barn.

Good luck to you as well. Barn

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.