Am I entitled to royalties from neighbor's gas/oil well?

EOG drilled a very successful well on my neighbor's land which is less that 1/4 mile to my acreage. What dictates if I should be getting royalties off this well? How can i determine if the well is horizontal?

Thank you,

Dear Ms. Callahan,

Since your lands are located in Texas, the answers are easy. If you are not pooled or leased, you get nothing.

If the well is a horizontal well, the well name will end in a "H" like the EOG-Callahan 2-H.

We are leased with EOG also. It's been 2 yrs. since we signed lease. They have drilled in a section close to ours. How do we find out if they are doing horizonal drilling on our section and also I understand we get royalties if they drill in our section anywhere. We only have 10 acres in that section. Is this correct?

Dear Ms. Jordan,

No, that is not correct. Oil and Gas Pooling in Texas is not required to follow section lines. You can only be pooled if you are leased or have agreed in other ways to a pooling transaction. Finding out if they are performing horizontal drilling with either require a ride to the wellsite or have research done at the Railroad Commission of Texas.

What research do I need to do at the RR Commission of Texas? Please detail for me the steps to take. Even if I am not "pooled" or "leased", I don't think anyone could legally drill horizontal and take oil from my acreage without compensation.

There should be a sign with the name of the well by the entrance, if you don't already know the unit name. Or Use this link and select county name and Identify Wells. Navigate the map and find the well in question. You'll see a pentagonal symbol and line terminating in a circle if it's a horizontal well. Click on the circle to pull up a link where you can look at the plat that shows the unit boundaries and affected owners. I am not a lawyer, so I can't help more than that. Good Luck.

Elaine Callahan said:

What research do I need to do at the RR Commission of Texas? Please detail for me the steps to take. Even if I am not "pooled" or "leased", I don't think anyone could legally drill horizontal and take oil from my acreage without compensation.

Dear Ms. Callahan,

Actually, they could do just that in Texas. You would then be in a position of a mineral co-tenant.

Read here:

http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/profiles/blogs/the-basics-of-pool...

and

http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/profiles/blogs/pooling-in-texas-p...

Elaine Callahan said:

Even if I am not "pooled" or "leased", I don't think anyone could legally drill horizontal and take oil from my acreage without compensation.

Ms. Callahan, do you own an interest in the mineral estate in your neighbor's land or your own land? Or do you own only an interest in the surface estate in your land, as opposed to the mineral estate? If the answers are that you only own the surface estate to your land, and no minerals under either your land or your neighbor's, you are not entitled to anything.

If on the other hand, you do own minerals, you need to determine if they are under lease. Then you can figure out where to go to from there.

Where is your 10acres located (county+ location/closest crossroads), and when was well drilled; I'll look it up, and post links

My 10 acres is in McMullen County Texas and we have 1 acre in LaSalle County Texas. We are section 49 in McMullen in the Naylor Jones Subdivision.

Sandra Jordan said:

My 10 acres is in McMullen County Texas and we have 1 acre in LaSalle County Texas. We are section 49 in McMullen in the Naylor Jones Subdivision.

I own 100% of all minerals, including surface and no, I am not leased at this time. I have found out that my neighbor's well is NOT horizontal. I still wonder about the potential of oil/gas on my property being flowed into my neighbor's well due to vertical drilling which could cross layers of zones flowing through my property into his well.

Ben Elmore said:

Ms. Callahan, do you own an interest in the mineral estate in your neighbor's land or your own land? Or do you own only an interest in the surface estate in your land, as opposed to the mineral estate? If the answers are that you only own the surface estate to your land, and no minerals under either your land or your neighbor's, you are not entitled to anything.

If on the other hand, you do own minerals, you need to determine if they are under lease. Then you can figure out where to go to from there.

What county, survey, abstract is your acreage in, and how many acres do you own?