Almost duplicate API numbers

There is well or maybe wells in Kingfisher county that my mother had the lease on. When I check the well name it gives me TWO API numbers: 3507324466 35073244660001

As you can see, they are identical except one has “0001” tacked onto the end. What does this mean?

Both are listed as Plugged/Abandoned and Triad (the operator) verified this, so I am not really worried about income or anything like this. It is just not clear what is going on here.

The first 10 digits of an API are standardized (first 2 digits are state, next 3 are county, rest are unique). 12 and 14 digits are not standardized (change based upon data vender/company) but signify:

• 11/12th digit designate bore. So if a well is sidetracked or multi bore these digits change accordingly
  • 13/14 digit designate completion number. So if a well has more than one completion (recompletion, etc) these numbers change.

Most of us only look at the 10 digits but the 12-14th are important for geo/engineering.

2 Likes

Thanks very much. This is quite helpful.

So, if I understand you correctly, the two listings are for the same well. It was reopened or something or shut down or something.

Yes, that is correct. The well has the same surface location but they have done something significant so that the bottom hole has changed or a different zone was recompleted.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.