Active oil well next to property

If there is an active oil well within 1000 or so feet of my property line, is it possible that my oil is being sucked out from underneath me? If so, what can I do about it? My mineral rights are registered.

How far a well drains is dependent upon the characteristics of the reservoir, especially pressure and permeability. Yes, you could be suffering drainage, but the law in most states is the “rule of capture” - that is if you can secure the oil, you own it. In order to limit the effect of drainage, most states set limits on how close to lease lines a well can be drilled and sometimes set monthly production limits to roughly restrict drainage. The only remedy is to lease your land and encourage drilling.

Mr. Hartfield, in which state are your minerals located?

Mr. Hartfield, What do you mean when you say your minerals are “registered”?

I agree this is more than likely the only remedy, but … I don’t much care for a land owner being in this situation. Just doesn’t seem fair from my perspective.

Gary Swindell said:

How far a well drains is dependent upon the characteristics of the reservoir, especially pressure and permeability. Yes, you could be suffering drainage, but the law in most states is the “rule of capture” - that is if you can secure the oil, you own it. In order to limit the effect of drainage, most states set limits on how close to lease lines a well can be drilled and sometimes set monthly production limits to roughly restrict drainage. The only remedy is to lease your land and encourage drilling.

“… if you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw and my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake: I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

Gary Swindell said:

XTO (now Exxon) has a well in which we own the mineral rights. There is another well close to our property that they also have. Our well interfered with the production of the other well so they reduced our flow all the way down to minimum production, meaning in order to maintain their lease on our well they have to meet a minimum flow. They have done this for years. Our concern is that they are removing our natural gas through the well next door while keeping our flow rate at a minimum. Is there anything that can be done about this? We would like to see the flow rate increased and also we would like to find out if we can get back what they owe us for all the years they have been pumping our gas through someone else’s well. Thank you, Dr. Lloyd L. Ramby

A leaseholder has an obligation to protect the lessor from drainage. Look for this language in your lease. While it is possible, I doubt XTO is doing what you describe because it does not make sense from a reservoir standpoint and opens them to the potential claims you describe. I suspect there are other things going on here that are unknown to you such as completion in different intervals. If you can let me know where the wells are and their names or api numbers I can take a quick look - gswindell@yahoo.com.

Hi Mr. Swindle, Can you drop me an email at lloydramby@aol.com and I will reply with the specifics. I just don’t want to post them on-line. Thanks, Lloyd

Gary Swindell said:

A leaseholder has an obligation to protect the lessor from drainage. Look for this language in your lease. While it is possible, I doubt XTO is doing what you describe because it does not make sense from a reservoir standpoint and opens them to the potential claims you describe. I suspect there are other things going on here that are unknown to you such as completion in different intervals. If you can let me know where the wells are and their names or api numbers I can take a quick look - gswindell@yahoo.com.

I just received Judgement of Possession on my fathers estate located in DeSoto Parish, LA. My father passed in 1995. which at the time,.forced heirship was in effect. My “stepmother” has usufruct for life, so, the will says. The will was dated in 1990, dad died in 1995. My stepmother wanted us to sign an Act of Donation, as she led us to believe that dad had nothing. NEVER SIGN ANYTHING , unless you know what your signing away. The newly enacted Law as to force heirship was not in effect until 1996. She has been signing oil/mineral leases, without a Succession. I have a new attorney now, but I am getting very impatient for answers and I shouldn’t have to fight for my rights. She has recived royalties, bonuses, etc. but she had no right to sign without the naked owners (myself & siblings). The land is also connected to property she aquired from her parent’s inheritance .since dad passed. Would this be related to commingling if the lease she is receiving royalty payments on, is now joined with the other property from her inheritance. Sl

Karen,

Your situation is not considered commingling. Commingling usually refers to production from different depths and/or formations.

Ha! Good movie and something to be concerned about.

TJ Boley said:

“… if you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw and my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake: I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

I strongly affirmed with Swindell, we have to obey what the rules says for us to be safe. Safety drilling is still the key here. The Katch Kan is doing a safety drilling take this oil and gas report to have an idea what is the company all about.