Accumulating leased land for deeper shale drilling

There are many shallow gas wells producing in West Virginia that are controlled by small acreages, in the productive shale regions. Since they don't allow forced pooling in that State, how do you accumulate larger acreages to drill in the deeper Marcellus zone?

Some leases don't have pooling language or some already allow for large enough pools. The companies work with each other and with royalty owners to try to get the acreage they need. When they can't, they have to drill elsewhere or something.