Abandoned well

My family and I inherited mineral rights on land in Waller County, Texas, upon which a well was drilled back in the late 1980’s, but was never completed. It appears that the operator went bankrupt before or around the time the well was drilled and cased. According to correspondence our grandfather received from a representative of the operator, the well tested at 125 MCF gas, but the letter made no mention of the status of the well. My question is… How can I find out the status of the well (T&A, plugged, etc) when I only have the lease name and we’ll name (i.e., I don’t know the TRRC permit number or the API number?

Post the information(lease name and well name)and any other tidbits you might have such as Section, Block and/or Abstract # —also the Survey name if that’s available and someone might be able to help you. Clint

Here is a link to the map section of the Railroad Commission’s online site https://gis.rrc.texas.gov/GISViewer/

At the top of that page use the pulldown menu that’s marked “Select County” to select Waller County, then use the pull down with the Looking Glass to select the survey or the well name you are trying to locate. When you find the part of Waller County where that well is located, use the “Information” menu (marked with “i” in a circle) to access the records the RRC has on the well.

If you have trouble navigating RRC’s map post the well name and survey name, or abstract number it is located in, and someone will help you pull up the information. But if the well you are wondering about was never completed the only thing in RRC’s records may be the drilling permit and the plugging report.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.