2020 leasing in SE corner of county?

On a TheDrillings website, I found what appears to be recent leasing activity in the far SE corner of Lea county: 760 acres in Township 26S Range 38E Sections 20, 21, 29
“Ownership and use of this lease is overseen by the Bureau of Land Management’s Carlsbad Field Office under the serial number NMNM 141535. The last action for this lease occurred on September 8, 2020. Information on the lease was last updated on September 30, 2020.” Can anyone expand on this? Any idea what formation(s) might be of interest in these sections?

That is on the Central Basin Platform. It is within the Permian Basin, but not a part of the more prolific Delaware and Midland Basins. On the CBP, they are generally drilling shallower wells, often vertically. You can find more information online or others might be able to help on here if you have a more specific question.

1 Like

Thank you, maxroyalty. NMoilboy did comment in another thread. I think Boyd & McWilliams has some Woodford shale wells in north Winkler county about five miles to the east of the recently leased lands in New Mexico. It would be interesting to learn if the parcels had ever been under lease before the latest winning bid. In a video I watched, the owner of a small exploration company claimed it is less expensive to drill a vertical well now than it did in 2008. I am not in the business and would not know.

Thank you, maxroyalty. NMoilboy did comment in another thread. I think Boyd & McWilliams has some Woodford shale wells in north Winkler county about five miles to the east of the recently leased lands in New Mexico. It would be interesting to learn if the parcels had ever been under lease before the latest winning bid. In a video I watched, the owner of a small exploration company claimed it is less expensive to drill a vertical well now than it did in 2008. I am not in the business and would not know.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.