17S-32E Sec1,and 2 Lea County help needed

Hello all, I am in need to understand this please. How do I find out the spud dates of these API numbers in Lea County NM. IN blue I have what appears to be by deed description what I own, percentage is unknown at this time. Based on what I have found so far is this. Was purchased by my grandfather in the 40s, was in a trust until 2016. Sometime around 1985 when my grandmother passed it was updated at the NM offices as needed. Somewhere in that process the first name of the trust was typoed. This was never caught until I have been doing the research as to why it just disappeared. I guess what I need to know is that what I am seeing is these, what appear to me to be new API numbers are really that and is it worth me finding an attorney to get this resolved? I have had two landmen look at this before and nothing was happening then and both found the trail just stopped in 1985. Then I found the issue with the name? Thank you in advance, MK

https://wwwapps.emnrd.nm.gov/ocd/ocdpermitting/Data/Wells.aspx

If you type in APIs here you can go to permitting page that has spud date. Also has wellfile link on the right hand side that will take you to all the filings, reports, etc at the state

Except for whatever reason those wells don’t seem to have a spud date shown. Ok here is when they were spud

1 Like

Thank you so much for that info NMoilboy. This has been a long hard road trying to understand what happened to this. Nothing just disappears as far as the paper trail. My best guess now is to get back with a land man do a full abstract and title based on the name issue and then get with an attorney in NM to see what we can do. Again many thanks for your input and help. MK

Have you contacted Penroc? I know they may not be very user friendly, but they probably are a good starting point. They are paying somebody here and have been for a while.

There is, as far as I could tell, a State lease that covers all of Sec 1 and 2 here. Has been in effect for a long time. 1934 or something. B-03610. Not sure what your deed indicates, ORRI I suppose.

That was my next step was to contact them as well. Yes they or whomever was the operator at that time I believe Conoco Phillips, were contacted in 2016 with what was supposed to be the correct name and they responded that it did not exist in that name. So, with all of that being said, I know that $$$ are under the bridge and we won’t recover that but at least I may be able to get the name corrected and be on what little there is as far as pay status and hope they add more wells in the future. Again many thanks for your input on this as I have followed many leads that went no where. This is finally, me seeing some light that may be real. Yes I expect it to be an ORRI from what I can tell. Best guess so far is around 0.05% based on other holdings in Texas and other areas. MK

Search on the NM unclaimed funds site with the state treasurer. Misspell the trust name in all sorts of ways and you may find funds there. Try your grandfather’s name and any beneficiaries. Amazing how many ways they can typo something.

1 Like

Thank you Martha, I have already begun that task. You are always on top of what is going on around here. Again, many thanks, MK

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.