What's New In Eddy County

Hello CMC 15 or whoever may know of anything new happening in S-15-t-23s-R-28e Eddy County? We just received papers from Dawson Geophsical Company to conduct a “Geophysical Operations” on this acreage. They are not listed with the Better Business Bureau. I looked them up on the net and they were reported for scamming!! Pretty fishy!! Would appreciate any feedback with anything that may be happening in this area, since we are so far away in the beautiful State of Georgia. Thanking you in advance.

Dawson Geophysical has been around for over 60 years. There are various locations for their field offices. Make sure you looked up the correct one. Not sure where you got the scamming part. Many companies have had issues with others will bad intent pretending to be them.

Thank you for responding and setting the record straight Martha. We always have high regard for your input and knowledge in these matters. Not being familiar with the workings of these companies nor what they really do, I just put their name in the search on the net and found what I shared. Obviously what I found was not legit. I am sure like most things today with all of the scamming that goes on, we are all somewhat overly suspicious.

We would be curious however, regarding this company who calls themselves “Dawson Geophysical Company out of Guthrie, OK”, if anyone else has received a form to sign seeking permission to conduct a 3D geophysical survey for and on behalf of “Fairfield Geotechnologies” on S-15-T-23S-R28E plus other roughly 227 square miles in addition to the aforementioned property description. The land man or agent is Jeff Seay.

Thank you, Lee

I cannot speak for that group specifically, but Dawson Geophysical has been around for decades and has field offices all over the country. Fairfield Geotechologies has also been around for decades and does quite a bit of seismic work all over the country.

This is a common request. Depending upon the state, the groups need a certain amount of surface owners permission to shoot seismic and sometimes they also need at least one subsurface owner to give permission. When Dawson was the agent for lands under our farm, we got a nice new road around our pond and the brush cleared since they needed to go across our land. Surface owners may ask for something small in return for giving permission. Mineral owners do not usually get compensated. The type of survey will determine any compensation. They would not be doing the survey unless they thought it was worth it. You win in the long run if they find what they are looking for. Sometimes they do not.

1 Like

Hello Lee,

Dawson Geophysical paid us back in 2015/2016 time frame to do a 3D Siesmic for Fairfield Nodal which is now Fairfield Technologies. I have a receipt somewhere in my files for exact dates, however this was completed way back then for Section 15 and a much bigger area. Its possible they might have a new updated technology that gives better resolution at deeper levels I have not gone to their page to see. We have since sold the land and kept the minerals so we would not hear of any new seismic mapping activity.

The Wolfcamp XY wells drilled by Chevron are close to played out for the majority of production at this point, I know they are over 900,000 barrels for the 640 acre pool. Maybe the area is being mapped for lower zones.

Novo Oil and Gas is drilling or has drilled some wells in the next lower Wolfcamps which are the Wolfcamp A and I think the Wolfcamp B a few miles Northwest, so they may be trying to get a better idea of the normal thickness and lateral continuity of those zones in the entire area. Not really sure.

Were you not contacted back in the 2015/2016 time frame about that survey that was performed ?

Its not a bad thing when they come in to do the survey as a flurry of drilling sometimes follows. I remember back in the 1970s when they first came in with the big thumper trucks to do the initial Seismic Surveys and after that the first gas wells started getting drilled in the area.

I have been approached to sell our mineral rights but have not returned the calls to the prospective buyers. This usually only happens when activity is possibly starting up. I do know that for our portion of Section 15 ( east half ) there have not been any Bonespring wells drilled, but they have been drilled to either side of us.

Dawson is definitely Legit and so is Fairfield. I’m just wondering what different data they are looking to map that they already haven’t in the past.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.