Ward County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Can anyone shed some light on how new Wolfcamp activity is going in Block 1, to the north of the Block 34 activity?

Have you tried checking the Tx RRC site to get updates and info on activity? That is a good source once you get it figured out as to how to use it.

In the meantime. I checked DrillingInfo.com (subscription site) as to new permits in Block 1 in Ward Co over past year. Active (over 60 permits / mostly horizontal) but not as much when compared to Block 34 (twice as many permits over same period).

Operators include Felix, Anadarko and Jagged Peak - all proven operators.

PDF showing permits and API number attached.

untitledBlock%201%20permits%20past%20year.pdf

Thank you very much. That is a great chart. Much appreciated.

Shell has just sold its leases in sothern Block 1 and northern Block 34 to Halcon Resources. These are the the Shell operated sections.

I have land only in Ward county in the Pyote area and would like to put it to good use, however 1st I need to have it surveyed. I am asking for help. Can someone here help me

According to DrillingInfo, the Wright 1-22 W just set 7" casing @ 12,068’ on March 15th. Assuming this is intermediate casing with next steps being to drill the horizontal wellbore.

The Wright 1-22E only reports surface casing set in late January - same time as the Wright 1-22W had its surface casing set. Figure that Shell had a shallow rig do surface casing on both back to back (same surface location). And now have moved in a big rig to drill the horizontal part of the hole. So my guess is that once the Wright 1-22W is at TD in lateral, the rig will be skid over and the Wright 1-22E will be drilled to TD in its lateral.

Also note that Shell permitted a third lateral (3H) in February on this same pad

Thanks, Rock Man. It will be interesting to see what happens because we are next door. Our operator has not re-worked our wells. We have had many offers to purchase. Results seems mixed in our Ward area. We are also in Culbertson and things are much better – a newer field. But back to Ward, we are currently 11.5 TD; and then Pennzoil went way down to 19 TD in the seventies. We are holding on because we are wondering if the operators have missed the “Wolfcamp” in between these programs. More to come? Who knows at this point.

Lamont, things to keep in mind always should include:

The 19,000’ drilling back in the 70’s was a deep vertical play tied to chasing specific structural conventional targets. If this is horizontal “shale” potential in your areas, it will happen - eventually.

Good luck!

Do any owners have any early “pre RRC” info on new wells permitted in November of 2017 Shell Western lease in Block 1, Section 22 in Ward? Positive results at 12K depth? I know the existing wells were way deeper.

Our current program in Ward is a horizontal oil and gas play in the Bone Spring, but I don’t know if it is a shale play, per se. The whole idea that Ward county even has a shale play is new to me. I always associated the shale plays with Reeves and Culbertson, etc…Is there a way to find out without calling the operator?

Technically, one can lump all the horizontal plays into a “shale” category - but in truth, each is a unique system that has varying concentrations of carbonate, sands / silts and organic rich mudstones.

I personally don’t see any reason to delve into the differences of each horizontal target (which can vary areally) - they are all horizontal play tied to fracture stimulating the target section to either liberate migrated or self sourced O&G resources

I have only surface land that I am trying to put yo work, and I need to know the boundaries.

Upon recent look at the RRC public viewer, it appears as if Jagged Peak has permitted 4 additional wells in 7-33/Eiland A-148. We already have one producing well there as shown. For those more knowledgeable please advise if I have read this correctly? There has been a substantial increase in the number of solicitations of the purchase of mineral rights which lead to the investigation of what is happening.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, Rainey:

I am not sure why you think you need to have your land surveyed. Is their not an existing legal description and abstract number available to you already? I would suggest that you contact a reputable oil & gas attorney, perhaps in Midland, to confirm that you really do need the survey. If you do, that attorney will almost certainly know of a good surveyor/survey company you can hire that will treat you fairly and not give you the run around.

Good luck!

All the best,

Kenneth H. Wiese

I am still searching for someone to do a survey of my land for me… Please help me find some one. I have tried to contact 2 and so far 1 said they would get back to me , now after 5 email attempts to contact…I’ve had no response. Another number I have picks up the phone nd doesnt say anything… sigh

Try Prichard and Abbott—Ft.Worth, Texas Clint Liles

Depending on the length of the lateral and efficiency of the operator, spud to TD with a single rig will take 10 to 20 days on the low side and up to 30 days on the high side (barring problems).

Oftentimes operators will use a smaller rig to drill the shallow part of the hole and then bring a big rig in later to drill the curve and lateral (more cost effective).

Wine Rack is difficult to explain in words but I will try. Instead of laying out laterals at the same depth across a unit, imagine a “wine rack” where bottles are arranged offset to one another as you move across a unit. This allows for closer spacing and more effective reservoir drainage (in many cased).

follow up on the question below. JPE has spudded 4 wells and 2 with surface casing so far on State Eiland 7-33. Typically, how long from the spudding and surface casing to actual drilling does it take? The phrase “wine rack” has been floated too. Thank you.

Randy, with the spudding and drilling of the surface hole and setting surface casing, “operations” has begun. But just phase 1 (surface hole). There have been instances where operators have not followed up on surface hole drilling with a bigger rig to drill to TD - but this is rare for the most part.

As for the four well pad that you mention, normally the operator will drill all four shallow wells and case them with a smaller rig (spudder rig). Then move that unit off and bring in a big rig that is capable of drilling the lateral to TD. The time frame between releasing the small rig and getting the big rig will vary from days to months depending on the operator’s plans. But this approach does same the operator hundreds of thousands of dollars on a 4 well pad such as this.

Once big rig is on location, operator may drill all four locations back to back to back to back. Only only drill one or two so that they can frac and test the section before drilling the remaining wells on the pad.

Once you start receiving checks (or direct deposits), they will occur like clockwork every month (assuming there is royalty money to be paid)