Thoughts on mineral ownership

not sure which aspect you’re wanting to keep track of, but if it’s production - here’s another option for you. welldatabase.com has both a free and paid version of their website. if you don’t have a long list of wells, you could use their free version. you can drop API numbers in and get production for your wells that way.

again - for transparency - I do not work for these guys.

I agree with you. The world will be different for our grandchildren which is why I want to document and give our children the context so they can navigate it best for themselves.

I’ve used that too. Tracking production isn’t a big problem. Tracking permits is a problem. There are about 40,000 acres (not NMA!) to track and there are nearby permits issued all the time. I currently look up the permit and plat maps to see if it falls on our property. The surface hole might be on property but the first take point is 100’ over the section line, I assume to spite me. Maybe I don’t need to keep track of it like that but that’s the best indication I have of short term production increases. That permit review is my Monday morning each week and there must be a way to automate that.

I’m not sure what your revenue per year is but with 40,000 acres; perhaps time to consider one of the paid subscription services that I mentioned.

if a horizontal well is drilled, the surface hole doesn’t really matter. what matters is if the lateral goes through your property and your property is included in the spacing unit. I’m starting to get a tad out of my league here as my family doesnt’ have any horizontal wells in TX; but i’m fairly certain this is how it works. others are welcome to chime in, as I’m always wanting to grow my competency.

1 Like

Enverus is very good at tracking permits vs acreage. Put on a map layer of your acreage, permits get laid over it from SHL to BHL. Enverus is not very good at being affordable.

I mean for like a chipotle bowl a month I can probably send you a map of all of the permits if that helps.

Perhaps there is another way where you have an ARCgis license and get the permits as lat/long sticks.

I personally can’t use the RRC and NMOCD etc to track map related info in a way that won’t drive me insane. But brute force works.

Myself personally, I don’t know how much running room there is for oil in this country. On a generational timeline. Demand aside. How do you keep the 12+mmbd treadmill running once you’ve burned through another 75k Permian hzs? We have been through the easy ideas, we are working on the hard idea, and everything left is a really really really hard idea. In-situ retort. Flooding nanodarcy rock. Etc. Those are things that likely won’t compete well with the rest of the world which hasn’t scraped as far down the barrel as us.

There is a ton of gas left here, as in a lot of places you can go deeper and deeper and find gas. Undiscovered oil, not so much. The world marches on. If we are left with flying to the moon to get He3 we will probably figure out how to nanotech another x% oil recovery out of these mature areas.

1 Like

Yes to all that and thanks for the Chipotle bowl lunch idea. MiQ gives me a nice list and map of permits issued. I just have to brute force the RRC site to find the bore path and see if any take points are in property I’m tracking. It’s not efficient but it works.

You have good points on the overall environment in oil. That’s really what got me thinking about all this and my attempt to document things.

A trick I discovered a long time ago was to take a screen shot of one map with permit locations and projected well paths from one source and past it onto a blank excel sheet. Then I take a screen shot from a better source that has the as drilled plat and post it on the excel sheet on top. I put the better source on top and set the transparency so I see the important landmarks and stretch and squeeze with the picture tools until they over lay on each other and the geography lines up. I can then draw my acreage on which the shape tools and overlay that on top-also with transparency very low. Cheaper than getting GIS software…

2 Likes

That’s fascinating the technology. I’m wondering if as drilled matches up with as planned. I doubt it. I know if the bit comes out of the top of the shale it can be hard to get back in it

Most modern operators are quite good at getting in and out of the hole and dealing with shale.

Depending upon the mapping software, many “planned” well plats are simply stick maps connecting the surface location with the planned bottom hole location. The “as-drilled” shows the actual well path.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.