Sold my mineral rights, they want some of the money back

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

In the context of oil and gas mineral rights, “title opinion” and “title claim” are terms used in relation to assessing and establishing ownership and legal rights. However, it’s important to note that legal terminology can vary, and the specifics may depend on jurisdiction and local legal practices.

In the case of a title opinion, the legal liability of the attorney or title examiner is typically limited to the scope of their analysis and the information available at the time the opinion is rendered. If they miss important information or make errors in their analysis, they could potentially be held liable for any resulting damages.

On the other hand, a title claim involves legal action and potential liability for the party asserting the claim if the claim is unfounded or if it is determined that the claimant does not have a valid legal right to the mineral rights.

Most of times I saw the documents with “Title Opinion” rather than “Title Claim”.

Disclaimer: I’m an engineer, not a legal counsel. Please take my comments with a grain of salt.