Slope County, ND - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Sure been quiet on this log, no comments about the photos or what is going on at Rundle and Powell?

Has been a bitter winter for sure, lets hope March will be good for them have wondered how they work in this cold! Keep up the photos and comments when you can Robert I appreciate them!

to TNKim lets see if comment shows up ?, so cold and miserable here. minus 30 wind chill tonite!!! I hope fracing crew did not start and get into something they cannot stop until finished , the pay is not enough for the crews this kind of weather and the work they do this oil is not produced without a lot of investment machines and hard physical work. Robert

thanks for post ,if you learn any other information ,post it , this page is called slope oil discussion group and information is what everyone is looking for. Robert

Read on million dollar way that mro landmen at slope courthouse this week. Robert was that your rumor? I confirmed it through my local source that saw them as well. Not sure how you can tell they are mro guys. Very encouraging sign. Anybody getting contact from mro refarding new leases or re-leasing? Our lease runs out in July.

r2.jpgr1.jpgpowell.jpgsigh.jpg Rundle POwell today hard to get any closer , signs and security gaurds, warmer weather , not sure what stage frac job is , information scarce , comments none, TNKim Iwilltry to Email you. Robert

Yes ,fact not rumor, confirmed small lease in Esix tnshp, they were not interested in Rainy Butte??? do you have 2 year extension for more dollars in your lease ?? know of at least one lease set up like that, pumping of wells should begin before July Robert

I just found out about this page today. My family has land and minerals in 136-98 and 135-98. I work in the oilfield and know a little about what Marathon has been doing. First, the Rundle Trust 11-29 has been plugged after the rig got stuck and fished without luck for two weeks they finally abandoned the well. They moved over and drilled the second well, although that well took much longer than planned. They were able to complete that well. The Powell well went better but still took longer than originally planned. They waited until now to Frac the two wells due to the thickness of the oil that the Tyler formation is known for. If they had fracked those wells, all of the flow back equipment would have to have been heated which would have cost even more money, so they decide to wait until it warmed up some to frac the wells. As for the leasing, they are leasing but only specific sections. From what I have been told they are not real optimistic that the Tyler will be a highly productive formation(and therefore not highly profitable) like the Bakken is. They are looking to drill a few more wells to get a better perspective of the formation, but beyond that there are no solid plans. If anyone has any other questions I will do my best to answer or find out answers if I can. Tyler Roller

Thanks for the info, lets be optimistic that they hit the right spot and it will be profitable.

Thank you for posting comment would welcome more discussion,To clarify my post Rundle was fraced in an 8 to 12 hour period ,Powell has not been fraced yet, on limited info, there are no gas lines in place in the area so gas has to be flared off, yes, acres will be tied up as much as possible to eliminate leasing and this area is still in the learning phase of production which could take 3 to 5 years Robert

comments ?? Rundle fraced , pump unit being installed , security guard on entrance road leases near well , north of well and southwest of well being signed .Powell doesnt appear to have much activity but road postedand after setup fracing appears to be done in 8to12 hours, any more info. out there?? robert

Tyler r, I have to disagree, there are many wells with good if not spectacular production that received pumps before they were produced. I would find it encouraging even if they merely decided to produce the well to try to recover as much of drilling cost as they could before the well became uneconomic to operate because they don’t always get it right the first time and they learn from each well drilled.

A damaged liner is not always the kiss of death requiring a well to be drilled again. I know because I’ve had one. After repairs the well produced in better than acceptable fashion for the area it was in.

As for a pump being installed right away, I believe it would be fair to say it indicates a lack of gas but it does not automatically follow that there is a lack of oil. The oil turns into gas in the more thermally mature areas. They have drilled deep all the way to the deadwood in places, it’s really hot down there and found little oil, it had all turned into gas. The wells were plugged because while there was alot of gas, the gas market was depressed and the cost to build the infrastructure made the production of the wells uneconomic. If you think I’m wrong, check it for yourself.

This based on looking in the wellfiles of a few thousand wells.

I agree that 2 mile laterals that did not have natural field pressure to be good producers do not make sense. Every bit of oil and gas produced near the pump lessens the pull at the end of the 2 mile lateral. I’ve read studies that wells on pump produce 70% or more from the first 4,500 feet and very little after the first mile. It does not mean that a shorter lateral which the pump could actually exert a significant pull all the way to the end would be uneconomic. The verticle part of a well is the cheap part, a shorter lateral would mean less frack stages which is the expensive part, and the frack stages of the downstream 1-1/4 miles which are largely wated would have never happened.

Remember that 10,000 foot laterals did not happen because they are efficient, they happened because of the need to hold more land, and they were not horribly bad where there was good field pressure.

Slope county is going to see O&G development over a large area, the operators are not ready to commit to 1/4 section drilling while they still have 2 section spacings elsewhere they need to pin down in the land grad which is still going on. Slope has oil that can be economically produced, just not with 10,000 foot laterals. Look at a few thousand wells, especially the short laterals drilled by SM Energy on 1/4 section spacing where SM had the entire section and drilled 1 well per 1/4. Those wells EACH produced comparably to the long lateral and XXL long lateral wells in the surrounding area. Have a little optimism for the future and have a great day!

Believe it or not, I’ve seen a well that did produce 10 barrels of water for every barrel of oil, over 1 million barrels of water total. They drilled a SWD well on the lease early on.

Great posts , rw kennedy please continue your posting insights …new readers please read all posts since 1/1/14, become a member and post comment, expiring leaseholders and mineral owners welcome to share info. rundle well seems like standard operating procedure to me, workover rig in, pumping unit installed, truckloads of oil sold equals dollars. profit will determine outcome ,production water will have to be hauled to disposal by truck, not sure of distance… ,tyler, when you went past Rundle , Did you go to Powell, a short distance south ?? do you have any info. on that site?? robert

Tyler r, what would you call a good well? Is profitable good enough or does it have to be really good 1,000 barrel a day IP? I mean you have work within the bounds of what you have.

If it’s a short lateral Madison well, we may be talking about the same well.

I appreaciate all your recent imput…I am watching it closly…I did put in some bad locations before and my Son called from Dallas and asked me if I was loosing my mind…So I just deleted the whole post…We have two sections in the next township east…But it is all leased…Mike

Thank You! I appreciate the info!

Can anyone tell me when the Rundle and Powell wells come off the confidential list and how does someone access the information?

Ed, if you look on the GIS server map on the NDIC O&G site to get the well numbers, then go to the confidential well list at the same site open tools on your computer and select file, select find on this page and input the well numbers you got from the GIS map. On the right side of the page there should be a date upon which the wells come off the confidential list. I hope this helps.