Drilling after lease expires

Does anyone have any info on Sec 30 8N 4W ,in McClain County…there were prior orders approved to drill a couple of wells ,but that has not happened or not aware of it happening. My question though is that my lease is over near the end of September and I have a clause that unless actual drilling begins the lease would end after a 3 years timeframe. Not really in a hurry to get it leased again, but wonder what happens ,at this point, where a lease ends and a company has approval to drill. I assume they wouldn’t drill unless all properties are leased or leased again ? Your thoughts on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick Buscemi

Depends upon which half of 30/31 you have acreage in.

EOG had filed cases in 2021 for the West half and Warwick-Minerva filed cases for the East half. EOG filed permits for three Trident wells. The permits had been extended for a six month period from 9/11/21. That period has elapsed.

Warwick-Minerva completed their poolings for the east half in Oct 2021 and the west half in Feb 2022. Their first well was called Beginnings 0804-30-31 1MHX in the east half. The surface location was in 6-07N-04W. It was completed in February 2021. They just had a new well location in the west half approved in June 2022. Time will tell on when they file the new permit.

Thanks for your response. Does a company notify the lease owners when they drill and if that drilling was successful or not? I’ve never received communication.

I do believe the property, I own the mineral rights, is mostly in the West on Sec.30 8N 4W, but think it might go into 4E for a small area ?? If the mineral rights go into 4E does that hold the current lease contract in force by the fact that they drilled on a portion of the land even if it is a small part of the area ?

What might be the next steps in determining if I have a mineral rights contract that will/has expired or mineral rights that can be leased again ?

Thanks, again Rick Buscemi

The company will not notify you that a well has spud since that data is available on the OCC website and it is up to the mineral owner to keep track of their own information.
Test. Use the surface location to look up the wells.

If you signed a lease and you did not specify a breakout, then it will hold both the west half and the east half. Your lease already expired. It was dated August 19, 2019. Since Warwick-Minerva already pooled in February, you may get the option to lease again. You might want to contact them. Ask for 1/4th since they have filed a bunch of leases already at 1/4th. The other leasing agents in the section are Feather Creek Resources, Warwick Jupiter, Red Sky Resources, Dry Creek Operating, Plainview Oil Company . Get an attorney to look at your lease.
it needs a few tweaks to protect you more.

Thanks again for your input. Rick Buscemi

Ms. Barnes I contacted Warwick and it turns out , I do own an interest in the Warwick Trident 31-30 1 MHX well in McClain County. They apparently did not know how to locate me?

They are going to send out the paperwork/tax forms for me to get into their system to receive back payments and then begin receiving future payments.

I looked up the production on the OTC Site and see that the checks should have several bits of info on them to explain the amount of payment so that should be somewhat straight forward in understanding that process.

Just wanted to thank you for always responding to the questions from people, like myself, who are looking for some direction concerning the mineral rights we own.

Thanks, Rick Buscemi

Excellent news! Make sure that your name and address are on file with the clerk of records at the McClain County courthouse and then you will have a better chance of getting contacted next time! Make sure that you save your check stub statements for seven (7) years for IRS purposes. Talk to your accountant about tax planning as that first check will be large since it has about six months of production on it. The following ones will be one month.

I got a letter from the operator (Warwick) to return some info to get into their system concerning the Trident 30-31 Well. I sent back all material requested. As a note, I legally inherited these mineral rights in 2006/2007 which is recorded on McClain County website. Today I got an email requesting for me to “clear” the title (?) with several items necessary to clear title (some of which I have no past knowledge of) I called Warwick and was told that it appears they (?) have reviewed what is recorded on the McClain County website ,but need more info…how does one do this ? Assume the need for an Attorney though it’s difficult to consider as I haven’t got an idea as to the monies involved concerning the current oil and gas output! Does anyone have an Attorney (probably in McClain Co.?) who mainly handles these types of issues and who might be better at explaining this issue to me ? Any idea as to a cost of said Attorney? Help… Thanks, Rick Buscemi

I would try Richard Winblad Law, Edmond Oklahoma, 405 340 6554, Richard has help me with this type of problem, he has been my attorney in Oklahoma since 2017, I live in California. Larry C. Kerr

Thanks Larry, I appreciate it. Rick: Ask the company for the division order analyst’s title requirements to put you into pay status. Once you have that you will have the information you need.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mr.Winblad I asked for and received the information which you said would explain what was required to clear title or clear up issue. Brief back history: My Aunt owned the original property along with mineral rights in McClain County OK. When she passed away I was legally made her personal representative to manage the probate. My Aunt willed her 3 siblings everything (One being my Mother). Apparently, no record of me being appointed could be found though there are other documents that mention that I was the duly appointed person (with the date of that happening) along with a final order to dissolve the estate and close probate which mentions me as personal representative awarding me a fee and stating I performed my duties as the personal representative.

I copied those documents,in an email , and sent back to the oil company. I mentioned that there is a date I was appointed and that eventually the probate was closed , in an order and awarding me a fee for services as the personal representative ,telling me I fulfilled my duties as personal representative. I can only assume they saw the same documents ??? I believe they should be able to either see or deduce that I was the legal personal representative? The bigger issue is that they lay out in the info they sent me that they agree that the mineral rights were kept in the land sale and divided among my Aunt’s siblings. They agreed that the land portion only was sold. They agree that my Mother’s probate in McClain County Oklahoma divided her inherited mineral rights to myself and my two brothers…yet they question could I legally sell the land for my Aunt’s estate…it would seem that question would have more to do with who gets paid a “land use” fee for drilling,etc. not over ownership of minerals. Since this well has produced for over 6 months would I and my brothers be owed interest on the unpaid amount of money concerning the minerals? I look forward for some thoughts on this issue ? Thanks, Rick Buscemi

Rick:

One would have to review all of the documents and orders, etc. It would probably be best to contact the attorney who assisted you with the probates. The answer might be very simple. However, the nature of an online forum is not conducive to rendering legal opinions.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

Mr. Winblad

I received communication that after the review of title and the information ,I sent , they are waiving the title requirements for my mineral rights that were in question. I assume that it is just a matter of getting info into their system to begin receiving the mineral royalties. I sent an email asking how “things” progress from this point ,but have yet to receive an answer.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks, Rick Buscemi

They will send you an DO and you will sign it, send it in and you will begin getting paid. (Send in the W-9 as well)