Royalties? What do I do to get?

Hi Michelle I’m Debra Edwards…I inherited through my grandma…via my mom…who both passed. I too was so very, very confused. I browsed everything I could get my hands on…I think I may have gotten a geography degree in the process, lol…My relatives where the Browns/Russell/Adkins. I even looked at overhead photos…I do own parts in Monongalia…Clay and Battelle districts. …partial owners with several others…I have 3 contracts with North East Natural…The landman we dealt with was Steve…nice guy…heavy southern accent…but also works for them…we were all lead to believe we “owned” the land…and this is where the problem started…earlier this year after mistakenly finding a “Russell” well that was producing and we weren’t getting royalties I contacted NNE and threatened to void my leases…it was only then did I learn that we didn’t own the land…but owned a portion of the “mineral rights”…years and years ago when people who owned the surface lands fell on hard times they would sell/lease rights to other folks to “mine” on their lands… the miner took the risks, did the works and either kept all or split the profits with the surface owners.This actually helped solidify our country and it’s resources bringing on the “modern” technologies of their days and what we have continued to build on today. Our land man was rather good at providing a lengthy family heritage dating back to the early 19th century…39 pages showing it all from person to person…so there was no disputing ownership. If you were provided this you may be able to make claim…at the very least I would ask your land man for copies/proof that lead to the conclusion of your, or lack of, ownership)…our mineral ownership has not produced anything in way of royalties…as they haven’t even broken ground on the surface…from 2016 to present…so this may just be the problem for you too…you are looking at surface ownership deeds/paper trails…when you may only have a “mineral rights” ownership. Did they give you more than 1 lease or just all into one??? This is the only way I have found to contact NNE…https://www.northeastnaturalenergy.com/contact....you may have to leave a message “threatening” to cancel/void your leases ( even if you don’t have one…that poker face game)…I found after numerous messages this was the only way they returned my call. If you think you will see any money , anytime soon, other than the original lease payment your wrong it could be years …and in the end the company may not ever do anything on that property…they like to lease them all up “just in case” and to secure land before other companies get to them. You may want to consider selling your mineral rights if you’re not in for the long haul…many compaines will buy them if you can prove ownership…and they will help you do that. Also a lot of companies have been caught scamming folks…they get the states ok to move forward with production/drilling by having all “owners” signed sealed and delivered…only to then tell you that you don’t own it in the first place…then they correctly or underhandedly purchase the property themselves …In my thinking as the pipelines to the Atlantic seaboard opens up later this year…giving a direct line to transport to foreign countries we will see more production and see a return in a few years down the line…so I am keeping mine and passing it on when I go…I could sell now for a small less than $2000 profit ( my leases gain me more than that) or hold out hoping for production.So much can cause the fluctuation…from finding owners, down to legislation, even the EPA…I wish you all the best…and if you do own part of these lands we maybe distant relatives…feel free to contact me anytime…As I too own parts of what you listed. I am on facebook Debra Edwards Kingman, Arizona I would list my number or email …but I did that before seeking info like you and I had just about every property/mining lawyer calling me…so good luck…but if you do own …I think it is only the minerals under the ground…not the surface land

Hello Debra, First thanks so much for your reply , It helped a lot. I had no clue that you could just own mineral rights and not the land that could be why i cant figure this all out. I signed Two different leases and also now found out I could have gotten more money then what I did. The money isn’t what I’m trying to figure out… even though it’s always nice to get money you didn’t know anything about. I’m just trying to see where this came from, where its at and how all this works. I inherited through my father… well his mom my grandmother. but don’t know much about that side of my family. I did check out check out ancestry.com. Are you any relation to the Tennant or Haught family ? Then we might just be distant family. Nobody ever told me any family heritage. Our Land man spoke with my Aunt and then she contacted me and a few more relatives but like I said not close or really know them. so if anyone knows any info and would like to share i would love it. Thanks again so much. I sent you a message on fb MIchelle lyn Brewer that’s me.

We are kind of in the same situation. Signed lease almost 4 years ago with CNX gas and haven’t heard from them since.