Offer By EOG

Wilsontownship: But Charles, you are saying that Montague county isn't a hot spot. then you say there are several OG attys. then you say you can't get them to help you. That may be, so I am suggesting that an attorney in another part of the state be found. The attorney needs to be an OG expert and located in the state of the lease, but no need for the atty to be in the city or county of the lease.

I contacted three O&G lawyer's offices in Smith County, Texas about reviewing a lease contract for Montague County. Each office took my name, reason for the contact and phone number. Only one called me back. After I told him that the Oil Company had already increased their per acre offer, and the easy work was done, he backed off and referred me to a semi-retired real estate lawyer for advice. Prior to contacting the Smith county offices, I sent an email to a Bowie lawyer asking if he did O&G work. I never got a reply on that one. My perception is that if you don't have a big (read 'high paying') job, the likelyhood of getting lawyer help is almost non-existant. I ended up negotiating the lease myself. Probably did a terrible job, but I did get some changes made to the basic form the oil company was using.

Dusky Johnson

Well Dusky and Charles, it is very disappointing to hear that you both have experienced this problem obtaining legal representation. I have the same kind of skepticism about the gascos and not being able to line up attorneys really puts the landowners at severe disadvantage. The only thing I can think of in a situation like that is to post on a board like this asking for a referral. It is a bad situation when we can trust the gascos and we can't get legal support. I am involved with a big lawsuit against a gasco and have luckily teamed up with one of the best OG attys in the area; the state (MI) for that matter. So much about this "whole OG business" is sketchy - very frustrating. Such a good thing websites like this exist!

Dusky - Unfortunately, my experience has been similar. I first contacted two O&G attorneys recommended by a notary public who lives in the area and has had dealings with my family. The first one let me wait for a month before informing me he didn't have time for me. I talked to the second one on the phone, and he said he could help. A few days later, after I had sent him all the details by email, he wrote he could get me a better lease. And I never heard from him again. A third O&G attorney was recommended to me by an O&G professional and was supposed to be very good. I talked with him on the phone, described the situation and sent him all details by email. Thee months later, after much reminding and pushing, one of the people in his office emailed me and wanted to "discuss" the situation. Forget it! Still another time, I emailed an O&G attorney who was highly praised on the NARO board for helping small owners negotiate leases. I never got a reply.

Wilsontownship - I'd dearly love to have a knowledgeable O&G attorney on my side when negotiating a lease (assuming there are companies that negotiate, rather than simply insisting you sign their lease or forget it - this also being one of the problems I've experienced), but my experience even with people who were recommended to me has been, in a word, miserable. I'll definitely take your advice and ask for referrals here the next time the matter comes up, but as I did that on another O&G forum with very little success, am not really confident that will lead to anything. To be honest, if you're a small owner and on top of that don't live in the area and to top that don't have friends in the area, you are - in my very humble opinion - in bad shape as far as getting professional legal help. Maybe we should start up a "Small Mineral Owners' Association" and locate a good O&G attorney to represent members... assuming one is willing. That would be the only way I could think of to improve a situation I also consider highly unfavorable to small owners.

I have to agree with what Mr. Johnson said. There are alot of lawyers out there that want to get paid alot for doing very little. The fact that you already got the oil company to increase the offer from the lowball initial offer would cut into the lawyers percentage he could get just for asking. On the lease that I myself got the oil company to release because I was never paid the bonus, I talked to several lawyers, and told them I wanted to get the lease recinded, most of the lawyers then told me that for a few biillable hours they could get me the signing bonus. I'm afraid I was a bit vehement when I explained to them that I wouldn't need their help for that as the operator had offered to fly someone in to come to my house and hand me cash, if I would just sign a ratification. There are alot of lawyers out there that will look at your lease for you and say, yep you can sign that because there is nothing illegal in it and never mention that it is a disastrous deal or explain what it means to you clause by clause.

Dusky Johnson said:

Wilsontownship: But Charles, you are saying that Montague county isn't a hot spot. then you say there are several OG attys. then you say you can't get them to help you. That may be, so I am suggesting that an attorney in another part of the state be found. The attorney needs to be an OG expert and located in the state of the lease, but no need for the atty to be in the city or county of the lease.

I contacted three O&G lawyer's offices in Smith County, Texas about reviewing a lease contract for Montague County. Each office took my name, reason for the contact and phone number. Only one called me back. After I told him that the Oil Company had already increased their per acre offer, and the easy work was done, he backed off and referred me to a semi-retired real estate lawyer for advice. Prior to contacting the Smith county offices, I sent an email to a Bowie lawyer asking if he did O&G work. I never got a reply on that one. My perception is that if you don't have a big (read 'high paying') job, the likelyhood of getting lawyer help is almost non-existant. I ended up negotiating the lease myself. Probably did a terrible job, but I did get some changes made to the basic form the oil company was using.

Dusky Johnson

Has any one received offers from Nottus Energy Resoures. Received an offer of $500ac. and 20% for 4ac east of Bowie.
Has any been offered this or better.

Anybody out there actually had dealings with Addax Minerals? They have been sending me mailings for several months now, wanting to purchase my mineral interests. I have never responded to their mailings but that hasn't slowed the generic offers. Not sure what they want to buy, the production proceeds or the actual mineral rights, but am pretty sure that whatever it is, it will be to their benefit.