Obtaining Gas Royalties from Family Forgotten Mineral Rights

I contacted the operator with proof that the mineral ownership should have passed down through an uncle and they confirmed heirship. When asked what they need from us to get into pay status, I hear nothing back. I am currently doing the research at the county and my next step is to complete a chain of title. Then, I will have a landman look over the docs and calculate percentage. After that, I plan on filing.an affidavit of heirship. Does this sound like a good path to follow? From what I understand, it all depends upon the amount of money involved and how much the well is producing as to whether or not an operator will accept an affidavit or a probate.

I don’t think a demand letter will do anything because at this point, according to Oklahoma law, you don’t have marketable title so the operator can continue to hold your revenue in suspense. As Richard Windblad said above: [quote=“Richard_Winblad, post:21, topic:74193”] In Oklahoma, a probate is generally required for non-trust owned properties. [/quote]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.