Mineral Rights offer for potential Solar Farm build

Keep us updated on how this goes. I’m really interested in seeing what the outcome is and learning more about this.

I thank everyone for their feed back and if anyone has had any type of experience dealing with mineral rights only not land, in a nonproducing area and a company expresses interest with an offer in leasing your land for exploration and possible development of a Solar Farm please feel free to continue sharing opinions, imputs. I will pass along how it goes. Thank you

I was part of a big solar project in Northeast Texas. We didn’t lease anyone because the counties involved are not good oil & gas areas. There are plenty of locations for drillsites in the unlikely event oil is discovered. I would be happy to get any money for my minerals, as long as they remain mine!

1 Like

Thanks for your imput.

My first question would be: are you talking about leasing or selling your minerals? Then I would question the thought of mixing solar (surface estate) with mineral rights and thirdly, $200 an acre is nothing to begin with; but, might be worth considering for no more than a three year lease. In closing, these fools in Washington and their insane energy policies aren’t going to last forever and if they continue to stay in power, nothing we do or say is going to make a hill of beans anyway. Good luck!

2 Likes

Leasing, not selling. No oil or gas has shown interest in the mineral rights since the 1980’s-90’s only to explore without results. I do not own the surface rights, only the mineral rights. I expect but don’t know till I see something in writing that it would be long term as in 20 yrs or more. But I have nothing in writing other than an offer to lease. There was no interest in buying the rights. Thanks for your imput

To clarify, you did not get into a lease for solar mineral rights? Thanks

If I were you, I’d ask the landman “what happens if I say no?”. I hope someone can chime in if there’s something like pooling for solar.

I did ask how many parties were involved? The landman said 165 total and they needed half of them to go forward. I imagine they are reaching out to many other parties due to the fragmented mineral rights as well. I don’t have a clear identification of exactly where my mineral rights in Brazoria County are but if it is where I think it is the land is all owned by one company with fragmented mineral rights. Hopefully, the agreement will give a more updated description than what I have been able to find. Thank you for your imput.

An update. I never received an offer via mail from the company who reached out to me. A few days ago another person from the same company called and said the lady I had been dealing with from the same company was no longer employed by them . The new person came back with a new offer and also came back with a different size as far as acreage and a different amount as far as mineral rights ownership that I own. More land fewer % of mineral rights. So, basically this offer is dead on arrival. What was considered a small amount was cut in half as far as the money. Not enough to hire an attorney to deal with it let alone profit from it.

2 Likes

These people are always “slow pitching” these deals. They usually are considering several different locations in the same area. Unlike Oil and Gas leases they have to have the entire surface and the entire mineral acreage before they will pay. It is suspected that some of this is sponsored by the Federal Govt. programs or Chinese backed. Like the wind farms!

2 Likes

Not directly related, but people who owned surface rights ideal for a cell tower are probably the most lucrative of anything out there–around $3,000 per month was what I heard many years ago.

Not sure if that’s still the case as by now most towers in the U.S. are already installed, but the downside is, of course, abnormal doses of RF energy if you live close enough to the tower.

1 Like

Absolutely, in the little town I live in a cell tower was put in and from what I have heard very profitable for the landowner w the cell tower.

1 Like

I received an offer for a surface waiver in Brazoria County for a solar project too. In theory the surface waiver won’t prohibit a developer from drilling for oil. They’re not leasing my minerals, they’re just asking for a surface waiver. I have no idea if $200 per net acre is a reasonable amount for a surface waiver or not. Ideally, I’d like to get a royalty based on electricity production, but I’m not sure how to negotiate for that.

1 Like

Location, Location, Location is an often used real estate term. It probably all depends upon you property location. You can’t buy land for $200/acre in your area. What is land selling for where your property is located. When you sell the surface to a solar farm, that is really what you are doing, in my way of thinking.

1 Like

I originally asked for some type of royalty on electricity production or a yearly amount and was quickly turned down. When this all started I asked for an agreement to look at, never received anything now I am waiting for the second agreement to look over but with the acreage increasing and percentages decreasing it is not economically feasible to hire an attorney. Especially if I have to go back and forth with negotiating if the company is not going to offer more than $200.00/ acre then they say I don’t have full mineral rights. It was my understanding my grandmother had all the mineral rights when she was leasing it out to Texaco in the 1980’s. Oh well.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.