Mineral Rights in Receivership

Thank you. That’s good advice.

DC16-16979 *Felix Energy Holdings LLC v. Flossie Barbie, et al, 109th Dist. Court, Winkler Co. is the receivership case. The law firm’s advice to hire a landman @ 1,500/day is very odd (no offense to all my landman friends!). Your portion of 40K ought to cover your legal with plenty left over, unless there are a whole lot of other heirs. One thing you can do to check out the pool of heirs so you can do a cost benefit analysis is get an ancestry account and dig in. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Thank you. I have the case numbers and was also curious about the landman advice. I think we’re on track now to make some progress!

mmhusky - Some family members and I have received an identical letter to yours for the same block of land. I’m wondering if we’re related? I’d love to pick your brain a bit more about what you have found out.

1 Like

Interesting! Yes, probably good to compare notes. Do you have relatives with the family name Munroe?

1 Like

I’d have to ask my aunt, who has more knowledge of our family tree than me. Our family name is Riley.

Our letter is only missing the A-1744 that you referenced. In all other ways it is identical.

1 Like

What I know from talking to the Court Clerk in Winkler County is that there are a lot of owners in the section of land that have been contacted by Patch recently. And each one has a small piece of the same thing. We are not necessarily all related. My basic understanding is that the A-1744 refers to particular survey of the land. So, on your relatives’ deed the number is different because they bought it after a newer or older survey was done than when my relative bought his piece of it. Same land, just a different time and survey. Hope that helps!

1 Like

A receivership lease was executed on behalf of my grandfather in Stephens County, Texas. I managed to end the receivership about 6 years ago. The following was true at that time. You need to hire a Texas attorney to file. Our cost for the filing was $500. To receive monies you have to show your place in the chain of title; you do not need to determine the ownership of all the other heirs. In my case the chain of title went from grandfather to grandmother to uncle (my mother’s brother who cared for grandmother) to mother to me and my siblings. Fortunately, I was able to obtain certified copies of wills and probates for all the above, and I provided them to the attorney so land/records costs were minimal. My mother had a second brother who, like my mother, received an interest from my uncle. His monies are still being held in Stephens County since they never provided the lawyer with any info to file. Be sure to check Texas unclaimed property under your great uncle’s name. You can also ask the county clerk if any monies from the receivership lease have been sent to the state. If the ownership is split equally every generation you should be able to estimate your share (assume your parent was one of four children and you are one of three: Great uncle 100%; great grandfather 1/5; grandparent 1/8; parent 1/4; you 1/3 100%/5/8/4/3=0.20833%

2 Likes

Thank you. So glad you had a successful outcome!

From the Application: image image

May not be same as your family name.

The Riley interest is likely from deed at V. 15, P. 604 (from Burl Stiff) the Munroe interest likely is from deed at V. 15 P. 565, also from Burl Stiff.

Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.