Marshall County, WV - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Chris, that's really cool. There's a part of me that, for as long as I can remember, has wanted to publish a book.

I've never seen a literary contract. They would provide for royalties, wouldn't they? And an up-front bonus. How interesting. Maybe I'll branch out a bit someday.

I'd appreciate anything you send me way, but of course it's not necessary. I do my best to help everybody out.

Kyle--yes, since you are a professional, a non-fiction book slanted in your field of education and interest would be a hot seller. If you have a degree, so much the better. If you have published articles in your field, another plus My biggest sellers were non-fiction books in 1988 and 1990. You can also write spec fiction if you want--SF, fantasy, thrillers, young adult (all genres), horror, paranormal romance and others. You will get an advance up front and they range from a paltry $250 to $100,000. Average is $5,000 to $15,000. It really depends on the name-brand of the publisher, and the best ones are in NYC. Royalties range from 20% on net on up to 40% gross. I can send you a literary contract if you wish--a boilerplate, very common example. Royalties are paid either monthly, quarterly or bi-annually (depends on the contract).

My email is stevenson_333@msn.com. you can locate me there so I can contact you privately.

My book page on Amazon is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-They-Sold-Moon-ebook/dp/B00LDFLR0S/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422148105&sr=1-1&keywords=the+girl+they+sold+to+the+moon

Or Google my name on the Amazon page: Chris Stevenson. There's about ten books there or so.

Cheers

Whoops--Here's the home author page:

http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Kyle, how can I reach you? Would like to discuss the contract I received to lease my minerals. I think I have about 30 days to respond. Thanks

Looks like the auction fellow wants a copy of the lease package as well. He hasn't provided any dollar quotes yet. I have to juggle two buyers. So, now it's off to the fax machine at my Pharmacy's office.

Chris, I'll get in touch with you privately about the books.

It's nice to have two buyers. You can work them against each other. How's that process going?

Liz, I'll get in touch with you privately. I'm trying to avoid outright solicitation of business here.

The 30 day deadline they have set is more to protect them from having somebody hold on to a lease offer for a year, have lease prices drop like crazy, and have that person present the offer and try to force the company to honor it. They'll work with you.

Hi, Kyle,

Major, major snafu. Not even a property lawyer found it, nor two buyers who had the lease contracts over a week. Long story short, it was all in the wording, even though 105 acres was spelled out over four times in print. Our net mineral acreage sum was $2,200. The bonus paid to us was $1,604 dollars. I don't think I have to tell you what that means. We don't have 2/5ths of mineral rights to 105 acres. We have. dum, ta, dum!--.73 acres apiece! Total shock, bewilderment and heartache on that one. However, the guy who stuck with us believes he can sell just under 1/2 acre for $10,000. So we have the ball rolling on that one.

Sure, you can check with me privately about your book idea.

Chris

Hi

Would you be able to tell me if

in 1925 in w. va. if a deed stated "reserves one-sixteenth 1/16 of the oil and gas royalties" since the standard royalty rate was 1/8 would that mean we owned 1/16th or 1/2 ? and if no lease at the time would it be a floating royalty interest or just a non participating interest?
How would I be able to find that in 1925 1/16th meant 1/2
thank you
mary ann

Antero, EQT, and a few smaller companies are all leasing up in Marshall County as of December of 2016. The leasing activity picked up this summer. Initial offers have ranged from $2500/acre to $4500/acre, depending on the company and the location of the property. Just thought I'd let people know. This isn't the result of a boom in the oil and gas industry so much as it is a shift in focus. Tyler County has slowed down significantly, while Marshall and Wetzel have picked up.

We own the mineral rights of approximately 60 acres in Liberty District, Marshall County, WV. We have been told that we will be unable to lease these rights due to the Victory Storage Field. Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue? We would prefer to lease these rights and may consider selling. Thanks in advance for any information.

I have minerals in Webster District, Marshall County. Because of gas storage wells my interest is held by an old lease agreement.

I did, however, negotiate a better deal when an "amendment & ratification" was needed to allow spacing up to 1280 acres for Marcellus drilling.