Leasing in Williams County North Dakota

RF

Petro has recently soldout most of there lease hold in the northern areas(Divide/Williams), and Newfield is further west in that northern play. By all means you can contact Baytex and see if they have any interest, and what they can offer. Baytex is a decent operator, they have improved there results, but there are a few others out there. The main problem with this area is there is alot of water.

I do have multiple companys that I do buisness with in that area that may be interested in your minerals as well.

Mat

RF said:

Mat

Thanks for your reply to my question. That well you are referencing was recently purchased and reworked by Baytex Energy. The output has increased tremendously hopefuly for long term. We have some royalties coming in from the shares we own in section 4 where the Petro now Baytex well is but our shares in section 5 are currently available to lease. It appears that Petro, Baytex, Newfield, and a few others are in the county but I am not sure whether to try to contact them direct or not. Should a person contact the drilling companys like Baytex dirrect to see if they would be interested in leasing our minerals or do they go through a particular secondary leasing Co.? Is it possible that no one will be interested for now as my Uncle and his family all sold out thier shares to Dale and my Step Mother leased her's to them thus leaving my sister's and my 1/9th shares each still out there? I am learning alot by reading these boards as my father was the one who handled all the prior leasing that has gone on with our minerals up until now but he passed in 2007 shorly after that Petro well went in. Thanks again for your reply.

Ron Forsberg

Mat Ekblad said:

RF

There are 2-3 companies is all that are buying leases in that area at this time. It is also difficult to obtain a straight 3 year lease in that area. I have seen many leases in that township at 3/16 RI so that should not be a problem. You are close to a well the Petro did a few years back that is not by any means a barn burner, so that plays into the length.

Mat

RF said:

My sister and I have some acres that have come available for lease as of Feb. 11th in Williams County 159, 99, 5.

The prior lease holder was Hunt but we have not been contacted by them yet. A company by the name of Dale Resorces has leased my step Mothers shares but don't want to lease anymore at this time but would like to buy our rights. We don't want to sell them so we were wondering how to find some good reputable companies to contact to about leasing them. My step Mother got $650.00 per acre, 3yr, and 3/16 royalty. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Can you let us know what 2-3 companies are buying leases in that area
and what are they paying for the bonus’s?
RF said:

Mat

Thanks for your reply to my question. That well you are referencing was recently purchased and reworked by Baytex Energy. The output has increased tremendously hopefuly for long term. We have some royalties coming in from the shares we own in section 4 where the Petro now Baytex well is but our shares in section 5 are currently available to lease. It appears that Petro, Baytex, Newfield, and a few others are in the county but I am not sure whether to try to contact them direct or not. Should a person contact the drilling companys like Baytex dirrect to see if they would be interested in leasing our minerals or do they go through a particular secondary leasing Co.? Is it possible that no one will be interested for now as my Uncle and his family all sold out thier shares to Dale and my Step Mother leased her's to them thus leaving my sister's and my 1/9th shares each still out there? I am learning alot by reading these boards as my father was the one who handled all the prior leasing that has gone on with our minerals up until now but he passed in 2007 shorly after that Petro well went in. Thanks again for your reply.

Ron Forsberg

Mat Ekblad said:

RF

There are 2-3 companies is all that are buying leases in that area at this time. It is also difficult to obtain a straight 3 year lease in that area. I have seen many leases in that township at 3/16 RI so that should not be a problem. You are close to a well the Petro did a few years back that is not by any means a barn burner, so that plays into the length.

Mat

RF said:

My sister and I have some acres that have come available for lease as of Feb. 11th in Williams County 159, 99, 5.

The prior lease holder was Hunt but we have not been contacted by them yet. A company by the name of Dale Resorces has leased my step Mothers shares but don't want to lease anymore at this time but would like to buy our rights. We don't want to sell them so we were wondering how to find some good reputable companies to contact to about leasing them. My step Mother got $650.00 per acre, 3yr, and 3/16 royalty. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Matt,

Thanks for your replys.

Does the water create a disposal problem or a separation problem?

Ron

Mat Ekblad said:

RF

Petro has recently soldout most of there lease hold in the northern areas(Divide/Williams), and Newfield is further west in that northern play. By all means you can contact Baytex and see if they have any interest, and what they can offer. Baytex is a decent operator, they have improved there results, but there are a few others out there. The main problem with this area is there is alot of water.

I do have multiple companys that I do buisness with in that area that may be interested in your minerals as well.

Mat

RF said:

Mat

Ron Forsberg

Mat Ekblad said:

RF

Mat

RF said:

Does anyone know if there are better drilling companies to approach to lease our mineral acres to that have better success drilling good wells than others? For instance would Continental be better than Petro Hunt or XTO for an example or do all the drillers have pretty much the same success? Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Ron

Ron:

You can refer back to the list of completed wells on the "Bakken Shale Discussion" board and get an idea about the production for the various operators. It is difficult to answer your question as these operators are drilling in different areas of the State and as you know, some areas are "hotter" than others. I would not worry about any of these operators currently drilling as all have alot dollars riding on the outcome of their wells along with their investors.

R Forsberg said:

Does anyone know if there are better drilling companies to approach to lease our mineral acres to that have better success drilling good wells than others? For instance would Continental be better than Petro Hunt or XTO for an example or do all the drillers have pretty much the same success? Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Ron

Charles

Thanks for your quick reply. I have been dealing with both Continental and Petro Hunt and a speculating lease company for some acres in Williams county. Hunt had the leases before this and did drill a well on the adjacent section which we own some mineral acres. The well initially was really a yawner and we were worried that eventually it would get capped. Baytex purchased it from Petro and reworked it and now it is producing very well. The representive from Continental which happens to be Diamond Resources claims that the well would have been done right if it would have been Continental doing the well instead of Petro. If there was really a difference between the abilities of different drilling companies then it would make sense to try to lease to the company that consitantly got better results. I am a little worried that it is just a sales plug and not really the facts. I have been reading alot of good things in the Minot Daily about Continental recently but it might just be a good PR department.

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

You can refer back to the list of completed wells on the "Bakken Shale Discussion" board and get an idea about the production for the various operators. It is difficult to answer your question as these operators are drilling in different areas of the State and as you know, some areas are "hotter" than others. I would not worry about any of these operators currently drilling as all have alot dollars riding on the outcome of their wells along with their investors.

R Forsberg said:

Ron

Ron:

We have minerals in Williams County and currently G-3 has our area spaced and they appear be picking up drilling activity in our Township and Range. They just completed a well near our mineral acreage and it turned out very well. I had no choice in regards to this operator as we leased to a broker in 2008 and this company ended up with the lease. Again, I think it would be difficult to rate one operator over another in view of all the variables that exist in drilling. Our minerals in Montana is leased to EOG Resources and they are also temp. spaced. I don't know much about their operations but just hope that they drill within the next year. Good luck on your decision!!

R Forsberg said:

Charles

Thanks for your quick reply. I have been dealing with both Continental and Petro Hunt and a speculating lease company for some acres in Williams county. Hunt had the leases before this and did drill a well on the adjacent section which we own some mineral acres. The well initially was really a yawner and we were worried that eventually it would get capped. Baytex purchased it from Petro and reworked it and now it is producing very well. The representive from Continental which happens to be Diamond Resources claims that the well would have been done right if it would have been Continental doing the well instead of Petro. If there was really a difference between the abilities of different drilling companies then it would make sense to try to lease to the company that consitantly got better results. I am a little worried that it is just a sales plug and not really the facts. I have been reading alot of good things in the Minot Daily about Continental recently but it might just be a good PR department.

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

R Forsberg said:

Ron

Ron

There are some operators that are better then other because of their game plan on drilling. For the most part the operators are reading from the same book, some just chose to spend more on their hole then the others. The area has alot to do about how the well will turnout, also a well drilled in 2008, will have a much different outcome then a well drilled in 2011.

To see Continentals handywork look at township 151 range 96w section 31 on the geological survey map. Drill in [ keep magnifying ], it appears to me they lost the well bore on two wells close together and it appears they only got 1 back. The difference on the 2 wells is one produced 4,030 and the other 31,930. These are recent Continental wells.

R Forsberg said:

Charles

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

R Forsberg said:

Ron

r w, Mat, Charles

Thanks again to all who have replied. So in general any and all operators can have failures when drilling wells and for the most part any of the main players are as good a bet as the other. That being said should one just try to get as good a lease $ bonus, and say close to 20 percent and for as few a years as one can and hope for the best from who ever ends up drilling the well? Any ideas on how much bonus per acre one should ask for acres at 159, 99, Sec 5 Williams county?

Ron

r w kennedy said:

To see Continentals handywork look at township 151 range 96w section 31 on the geological survey map. Drill in [ keep magnifying ], it appears to me they lost the well bore on two wells close together and it appears they only got 1 back. The difference on the 2 wells is one produced 4,030 and the other 31,930. These are recent Continental wells.

R Forsberg said:

Charles

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

R Forsberg said:

Ron

I have had experience with Diamond. If they said the sun was up at noon, I’d go look to make sure. I think in the end you will have very little say in who the operator is, go for the best lease terms you can get. An agent will tell you anything to get you to sign their lease. Sounds like someone was trying to give you a PERCEPTION of added value. It happens all the time in SALES. Be as sceptical with a lease agent as you would be with a used car salesman.

There are some posts that have been less than favorable about Diamond for sure but that is who Continental had call me back when I inquired about their interest. The land man sent a contract that had Continentals name on it. It would appear that they are quite interested as well as Petro Hunt. I am not sure what to ask for a bonus amount as they have offered $650 per acre but I don't know if that is good for that area of Williams County especially when there is a good well to the East in section 4.

r w kennedy said:

I have had experience with Diamond. If they said the sun was up at noon, I'd go look to make sure. I think in the end you will have very little say in who the operator is, go for the best lease terms you can get. An agent will tell you anything to get you to sign their lease. Sounds like someone was trying to give you a PERCEPTION of added value. It happens all the time in SALES. Be as sceptical with a lease agent as you would be with a used car salesman.

Ron:

You can always contact these operators directly and skip the broker (Diamond) if you feel uneasy dealing with them. I would contact the Land Departments with both companies and go from there.

R Forsberg said:

There are some posts that have been less than favorable about Diamond for sure but that is who Continental had call me back when I inquired about their interest. The land man sent a contract that had Continentals name on it. It would appear that they are quite interested as well as Petro Hunt. I am not sure what to ask for a bonus amount as they have offered $650 per acre but I don't know if that is good for that area of Williams County especially when there is a good well to the East in section 4.

r w kennedy said:

I have had experience with Diamond. If they said the sun was up at noon, I'd go look to make sure. I think in the end you will have very little say in who the operator is, go for the best lease terms you can get. An agent will tell you anything to get you to sign their lease. Sounds like someone was trying to give you a PERCEPTION of added value. It happens all the time in SALES. Be as sceptical with a lease agent as you would be with a used car salesman.

That’s what I thought I was doing when I contacted Continental by phone. The person who answered didn’t say she was going to have a broker call me back instead of someone from their Land Department.

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

You can always contact these operators directly and skip the broker (Diamond) if you feel uneasy dealing with them. I would contact the Land Departments with both companies and go from there.

R Forsberg said:

r w kennedy said:

Ron:

i would make every attempt to deal with the Land Departments and if they are interested, you should have good results. Some of these companies will insist on the utilization of their lease brokers, so it comes down to which party is more determined. Just remember, these are your minerals and you lease them under terms that you are satisfied with to a resonable degree.

R Forsberg said:

That's what I thought I was doing when I contacted Continental by phone. The person who answered didn't say she was going to have a broker call me back instead of someone from their Land Department.

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

R Forsberg said:

r w kennedy said:

Thanks Charles.

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

i would make every attempt to deal with the Land Departments and if they are interested, you should have good results. Some of these companies will insist on the utilization of their lease brokers, so it comes down to which party is more determined. Just remember, these are your minerals and you lease them under terms that you are satisfied with to a resonable degree.

R Forsberg said:

That's what I thought I was doing when I contacted Continental by phone. The person who answered didn't say she was going to have a broker call me back instead of someone from their Land Department.

charles s mallory said:

Ron:

R Forsberg said:

r w kennedy said: