Leased but never drilled

PeteR, can you share what program you used to outline w_e_c’s interests in Reeves County? It looks like the Texas Railroad Commission GIS Viewer map is the bottom layer?

Hi @HelenLC . You are correct, that drawing was all done from the Texas RRC GIS map. It was sketched using the measurement (ruler icon) that is a built in function to the RRC GIS map screen. It is only a rough sketch, but the metes and bounds in the property records indicated that the lines were parallel to the main abstract lines, so measuring the angles could be done by eye, and the lines were measured in feet, which is a built in unit in the RRC GIS map measurement function. For better precision and more complex boundaries, I have had good luck importing screen shots of state maps into a CAD program and then scaling the image so that the measurements can be done in whatever units are called out in the property description, rods, chains, varas, feet, miles, etc. Then you can draw your lines at the angles and in the units listed in the property description. Any drawing program that can import and scale jpegs, and draw lines at a specified angle and distance would work. Best to use something you are familiar with, as learning a new program is sometimes a project in itself.

Many, many thanks for your reply! Looks like I will be expanding my skillset!

Rick5, we are neighbors, and are aware of OXY. How much acreage do you sit on? Does anyone know if it is true that if you don’t sign lease, don’t accept bonus offer that they can just pay you a year down th road once they are producing, such as you get you royalty payments but miss out on bonus?

Also, I see many of you getting 10K+ pnma for the same area we keep getting a quarter of that?

Thank u in advance!

1 Like

Hi JedC,

We have approximately 5.7 acres in sections 270/271 which were leased in September 2020. I would encourage you to lease get your 1/4 royalty and be happy with monthly royalty checks. We have never become a working interest owner with our minerals or waited for the Operator to recoup their investment plus before paying royalties. Doesn’t seem very feasible to us. What about you…what are y’all own acreage wise?

We have acreage already producing close by and have equivalent in your neck of the woods. I’m assuming at 5 acres you have one of those old blocks, lots from your lineage to the great methodist land swindle a century or so ago?

Oxy just applied for another 3 wells in 270/271. Total now of 5 wells.

Hey do you have links for this information? Thnx

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.