Lane County, KS - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Any news on the Encana horizontal well?

The last word I had about 2 weeks ago was that Encana was removing ALL equipment from the well site. At this moment I know nothing more. I am 500 miles from well site but get info from our renter.

Encana has pulled out. They don't have any plans to drill additional wells in Kansas in 2013. This information came directly from a Encana landman.

Yep. I stopped at the Jasper well site yesterday to see if Ron Bahm's news was accurate. The tank battery has been removed, as well as all other equipment. Just two big pipes sticking out of the ground with big shutoff valves on them. Not good. I can't help but wonder if Encana's withdrawal from Kansas had anything to do with the legislature's recent expansion of the severance tax. That tilts the cost differential toward Oklahoma. I was in the Medford and Alva area last week and saw SandRidge tank batteries everywhere, at least four horizontal rigs in action, and mile upon mile of temporary water pipe laying in ditches to carry water to the new well sites.

I visited the Jasper well site two to three times per week and got to know an EnCana employee and one of the contractors hired to "babysit" the well - it was attended 24 hours per day when it produced. Both told me the well was producing 6000 barrels water per day, absolutely no oil and 6000 parts per million deadly hydrogen sulfide gas. I suspect the well was abandoned because of the danger associated with the hydrogen sulfide.

Has anyone in Lane Co. executed a lease lately? If so, what royalty and lease bonus? Term? Extension?