How do I know there is oil in my land

Hard to believe no one appears to know what is going on here.

This is almost certainly “mineral classified” land. Which means that the state school system owns 100% of the minerals, but the SURFACE OWNER has 100% executive authority and receives a 50% ROYALTY on all mineral production.

Essentially, surface owner has 50% interest in minerals and ownership cannot be severed from surface ownership.

So when they are offering you on your surface rights, they are really after your minerals.

This is almost certainly a SCAM and a low ball offer. A lot of scams being attempted right now in Culberson County surface ownership, as most folks do not understand the basics.

Do not walk away. Run away.

No, it appears that you don’t know what is going on. According to the GLO website, these lands are School Lands wherein the state sold the surface estate but retained the mineral estate. Surface owner has no rights to minerals/royalty.

FYI under RAL, surface owner acts as agent for state and does not own the mineral, state does.

John,

I received the same letter as I am also an owner within the same block - would love to connect with you on this.

Thanks!

Yes, I called them ( one mailed me the letter) and talked to them. They said all the land owner around my lot sold to their company. I am the only one there now. Won’t believe that. Good to know my neighbor. Yes, please keep contact me. Thank you

1 Like

Robert,

Would you provide some clarity into your statements? I see Joe’s comment above as well, so trying to get a better understanding of options.

I have some additional questions as well so would appreciate any insight from the community.

1. What purposes would there be for the drilling company to use the surface rights?
  2. Is it recommended for the surface rights holder to sell the land or hold for future upside, as the land is already under a leasing agreement.
  3. Would there any value remaining in the land after all the materials have been extracted? How long before further redevelopment?

Sales agreement - clearly marked “ALL GROUND WATER & LEASING RIGHTS FOR STATE OF TX” http://www.glo.texas.gov/ncu/SCANDOCS/archives_webfiles/arcmaps/webfiles/landgrants/PDFs/1/0/2/4/1024214.pdf

Lease info - Texas General Land Office and Operator https://cgis.glo.texas.gov/cfGIS/glomapjs/ogas.cfm?OAGLEASE=MF118382

I haven’t looked up the specific legals. But there are hundreds of sections of mineral classified lands and only a small amount of school land in Culbertson County.

If it’s mineral classified land, surface owners have 100% executive rights to the minerals and get a 50% royalty, although technically the state owns the minerals.

Some areas are getting upwards of 25k signing bonus per acre in NE Culbertson right now. And there are a lot of film flam offers with confusing terms being sent out.

Do not trust a below average Joe on the internet to give you advice. Obtain legal advice from a qualified attorney before signing any of your rights away.

3 Likes

HelloRobert! Base on the statement, what ‘s the landowner get?

Mean the land owner has any right in their property?

What rights the buyer receives is limited by the reservations in the deed history. You have to pull all the deeds from sovereignty to date to determine what you own. The file added by AMB indicates that in 2005 the State sold surface, reserving 100% of the minerals and water and all leasing rights. This would not be a mineral classified tract and the buyer will receive no bonus or royalties. The State can sell or use the water. The buyer only can have a water well for personal use. However, the buyer would negotiate easements and be paid for pipelines, electric lines, roads, etc. The buyer cannot stop the oil company from using the surface for activity related to the development of the minerals or water.

2 Likes

North-Half of the West- half of section 277, block 13,H&GN Railroad company Survey.Reeves county Is there any good new for my land? Thank you very much for your help. Are there any activities yet? Thank you Clint

And mine are lot 13 and 18

I wanted to in[quote=“Clint_Liles, post:3, topic:39193, full:true”] Hello John, After checking the GIS(Geographic Information Survey) map I find several Section 8 but no Block 53 for Culberson County. Check your legal description again and post the ‘complete’ legal description.

Clint Liles

I wanted to inquire about block 97 section 3 in culberson county, tx. Is there any drilling going on in that area? How would I go about checking the GIS Map? I am new to this site so I hopefully my post is appropriate. Thank you.

Margaret I see no production or activity for miles around. The last approved permit was for a Wolfcamp well in Section 12/Block 97…back in 2014(blue circle)but this well was never drilled.

http://webapps.rrc.texas.gov/DP/drillDownQueryAction.do?fromPublicQuery=Y&name=LOONEY%2BBLAIR&univDocNo=488601482

Margaret…I accidentally closed my post before I was through…

http://wwwgisp.rrc.texas.gov/GISViewer2/GISViewer/docs/Public_GIS_Viewer_Legend.pdf

GIS Map of Culberson County Section 3/Block 97 and surrounding area:

DOUBLE LEFT CLICK TO ENLARGE MAP

Clint Liles