Hilcorp and San Juan Energy Co

Happy to hear of Hilcorp’s quick response and that you were able to take care of the paperwork for your mother.

Apparently Holland and Hart are representing Hilcorp, according to this article. I wonder how long Hilcorp can get away with selling our minerals without paying royalties.

They will continue to do what they are doing until someone or some entity “says stop.”

Well never mind then about Holland and hart!!! They are already hilcorp[s attorneys….!!! sheeeeeesh!

I suspect you are aware of this, but in case you are not, if they are producing from your well(s) and they are not compensating you in any way for the minerals they extract, you can legally tell them to desist and you can withdraw your lease. Then you can look for a new producer. Look up the term, “Paying quantities,” and that will give you more information.

Thank you for that info, Ann. I’m new to all of this…as we recently discovered we inherited a few royalty deeds, and we are in the process of sorting it all out. So far, we have the deed for wells in LaPlata County, Colorado, and are working on getting the deed/deeds for New Mexico. We found unclaimed royalties from Conoco-Phillips and Burlington on our states’ Unclaimed Property site, but the checks we received were issued by State of California, and did not contain the remittance details. We contacted Conoco and they sent us some info, but we still need to confirm the API #s for the list of wells received from Conoco and the details showing what their payments covered. We also need to contact Burlington and get the details about the payments received from them.

I’m assuming that we have not been paid since Hilcorp purchased Conoco’s interests, but need to get our deeds/ducks in order so we can submit the correct info to show we are the rightful owners and should be paid (because the wells we are aware have been producing since 2001 and still are).

This forum has been a wealth of information - and is very much appreciated.

I just wish I could access more info online for New Mexico’s recorded documents, as it was fairly easy to find and get copies of our deed and lease in Colorado’s online database.

Hi, if it is possible, can you please tell me if the Hilcorp’s payment included payment for monies withheld since they took over in August, 2017? Did they make a full correction for all of the months involved? And did they pay you interest? If Hilcorp knew who owned the property and did not pay appropriately (on time), then they also owe 18% interest on monies withheld (2014 “Ideal” Class Action suit). I ask this because I would like to know what they are doing with other mineral owners. They have not made a single correct adjustment on any payment I have received since August, 2017. And more.

Hmmmm. An extremely reliable attorney told me that if the producer does not know to whom the wells belong, then they do not have to pay interest on the reserves being held. So it is in your best interest to quickly complete the ownership stuff. That said, if you cannot travel to the San Juan County’s Assessor’s Office or Records, you might ask them to recommend a Landman who can do the research and obtain copies of your records. If they say they cannot do that, google the San Juan County Landman Association where there is a phone number you can call. Seems like they can at the least tell you how to locate someone and possibly tell you about how much it will cost to get the records you need. I paid $500 to someone to do historical research (because of the property location) and obtain records that assured title.

The payments we received were via Unclaimed Property, and wer fro. CO OCO-PHILLI OP S AND url gton. We have e so.eo e working o obtains I g our historical re lords now. Hilcorp could have paid the same as Co oco-Phillips, but no payments were recieved from Hilcorp at all that we are aware of. As soon as we have our deeds and documents gathered we will be contacting Hilcorp to request payment. In the meantime, I will be trying to obtain an accounting of the payments recieved so far. We recieved a total of 81 payments - mostly from Conoco- Phillips. Most of our wells have been actively producing since 2002, a few since 1994, and a few back to 1964.

Thank you! Optimistically, I’m hoping Hilcorp will eventually get their act together. In your case, they should be forthright. Not much wiggle room for them when you have the paperwork. It will be wise to check your well’s production history on the NM Oil Conservation Division site (OCD). Use your API numbers and look under OCD Permitting.You will see full MCF production for each well and then need to use your decimal interest to determine what should be your share of the production.

I’ve reached out to two investigative journalists, both in New Mexico. No response. National news source next?

How did you make out with the mineral management firm and would you recommend them?

I would definitely recommend them. Argent is the firm I chose. HC was slow to respond to my informed questions. Once Argent was involved, someone internally was assigned to our representative. Argent was able to present a case to correct some significant errors. Also HC began paying the back pay for actuals (maybe for everyone) but still owe me six months of corrections for 2018. Because this industry is unregulated I’ve observed that one has to rely on relationship building to get anything done. Argent is good at that. But that only goes so far. There are still many loose ends to follow and wrongs not righted. Argent is aware of all. COVID-19 and the price of gas seems to have created some havoc at HC. Not sure when or if those other issues will be addressed and resolved.TBD.

its 2020 and hilcorp is still doing true ups. Has anyone else not been receiving payments form Hilcorp?

I have received true-ups on most all of the months from July, 2017 forward. I am missing a good part of 2018 for some reason. Also, the discrepancies between what NM Oil Conservation Division reports (based on mechanized counting of MCF’s produced) and what HC reports are ongoing and deeply troubling.

I have to agree with you it is very troubling. When I have called owner relations. They told me just today not to plan on any payments for the rest of this year and possibly into next. I have asked to speak to someone outside of owner relations. However you can not speak to anyone outside of owner relations. I think that is beyond troubling all on its own. I am so over HC. I am about ready to find an lawyer and let them have a field day with this. What is even worse is the person I spoke to today told me if she was in my shoes she would file a lawsuit. What does that tell you?

I am having the same issue. All of my interests stem from 1948, 1949 and 1950 Federal leases where the overrides are spread across possibly thousands of owners. The majority if not all represent an ownership where the economics do not justify the cost of legal representation. Secondly, a fairly large legal firm would be required where many may have a conflict of interest since they have or are representing HC is some capacity. Thirdly, the firm would most likely request a contingency fee that may run as high as 1/3 of the possible settlement. Lastly any legal action can be a long drawn out affair. A decades ago I had a client that enjoined litigation and ten years later, the US Supreme Court rendered a decision in our favor.

Have you made any headway? My siblings and I inherited property that our Mother owned. Hilcorp is the leasee. we have hired a lawyer ( Tully) to recover our royalties but have not gotten any check. can the state Attorney General office be of help. thanks. Ken

My siblings and I have inherited our mothers property which Hilcorp is leasing the oil/gas rights. We are not receiving payment that we believe we are owed. did you receive any replies which would help us get what we deserve? thank you. Ken.

Ken, I wrote a long email giving you some advice. I do not think it was approved because I sent it out and received several notices from this site saying it was not sent because it was not through the forum. You sent your query to my email address, so you can use that if you still have questions.

I think you should write Hilcorp Executives on your own rather than turn to an attorney.