Hettinger County Leases?

I don't own anything in Hettinger county, but find the forum interesting and fun. Does anyone know of someone besides Chesapeake in the area? Seems like the rest like the middle of the field better.

After checking the February NDIC Dockets, I didn't see Chesapeake listed among them;

however, I did see that in Stark county, they just posted as "next location" on the Daily Rig List. Moving from Grenz to Hutzenbiler 9-137-99

Wilson, I don't know where in Kansas. The landman we were working with told me last month that Chesapeake pulled him out of ND to go to Kansas. Chesapeake apparently got about $1.5 B from China to help fund their operations, so I expect they'll be trying to lease more in another land grab somewhere. I just don't know where.

Wilsontownship said:

Ron,

You mention that Chesapeake had moved to Kansas. Can you find out where?

Why you ask? I experienced the Chesapeake Shell game in Michigan in summer 2010 and they cancelled 1000+ leases. I see they have done the same thing in Hettinger County, ND and I am suspicious they are now trying same in Kansas. So I am trying to investigate activity in KS.

Why investigating? I am collecting evidence that Chesapeake is on a nationwide campaign to lock up mineral rights, dump leases they don't want, bundle large holdings and sell to JV and move on. So if you can help me with what you can find out about where the landman is in KS that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Wilson

Ronald M Gall said:

You're absolutely right, Jim. I heard from our landman a few days ago and Chesapeake is not doing any more leases in Hettinger County right now. He's working for them in Kansas now.

You know any landmen still working Hettinger County?

Thanks, Ron

Jim Gion said:

Sullivan still had some folks in the area - I've heard that all of the other contracted landmen have been pulled. There may be some independents operating in the area.

Ron,

By any chance do you have a relationship with your landman such that you could call him to ask where he is working in KS on CHK behalf? That would be helpful for me. I am talking with a landowner there who is suing a landman/shell company for not paying the sign bonus, yet did register the lease. It is unclear who is behind this KS shell company, just as it is unclear who a related shell company is working for in MI.

Thanks,
Wilson

Ronald M Gall said:

Wilson, I don't know where in Kansas. The landman we were working with told me last month that Chesapeake pulled him out of ND to go to Kansas. Che area.

Susan,

Thanks. I know that the NDRIN is the most comprehensive database, but I don't have access to this. I used ESER and found bayside Energy active in ND. But I continue to search for more information; namely who is behind Bayside. On ESER I found that Bayside had been quite active leasing acreage in Bottineau County.

Susan, is it possible to search NDRIN on statewide basis over a few year period to see if Bayside Energy shows up (it must) and even Bent Tree Properties which is related (might show up). I am not sure if there would be some type of "trail" on NDRIN that would show Bayside and their client; who they have transferred leases to?

And regarding the large holding Chesapeake has in ND also plays into the idea of them forming a JV there somewhere. In fact, I think I have read as much and certainly speculating this is in the works. However, if they don't want leases held outside a region (i.e. Hettinger County region) they bail on leases. But anyway, watch for a JV announcement (just guessing!).

Thanks in advance.

Wilson

Snues said:

Wilson,

No, I did not see those two companies listed among the documents I saw in Hettinger County.

On Tuesday, Feb 7th, it's the next ND State auction. It will be interesting to see who bids the parcels available, for the counties that Chesapeake has targeted. They've used a shell name in the previous auctions, but if they're pulling out of leasing the remaining acres they initiated with MO's, I just wonder if they want anymore State acres at a high price.

I saw on another site, that CHK has 320,000 acres leased in ND; and only 2 operational rigs at this time. Doing the math of one well a month each, 5 year lease terms, they'd need 8+ rigs to drill out that amount of acres.

Good luck with your research.

Susan

I noticed mention of a few companies in which I know the back ground on that worked the areas. On Oct. 14, 2010 Chesapeake Energy paid 5 million dollars to Romac Energy (President Wayne Hartt) by wire to sign a agreement for options. Those options were in fact some C.A. Crouch held among anything else Crouch could provide Romac for Chesapeake. They signed a PSA on Oct. 21, 2010 stating a closing would take place on Jan. 31, 2011. Chesapeake requested to extend closings and Romac granted it. The time to extend was never granted by Crouch. But Romac promised a closing on Mar. 1, 2011 that never took place. On Mar. 4, 2011 Chk sent a closing statement and Romac refused to sign. This was admitted by their council Jared Barrett in front of several people. Romac then sued CHK and changed their name to Stoneridge Energy in May 2011. And CHK changed their paperwork to reflect the new name. How many companies being sued continue to do business together without it being resolved? Further Romac kept the 5 million dollars for themselves. Wayne Hartt states the funds are all spent. In all Romac recieved 12.8 million from CHK and never recieved a single lease. Yet in a in house CHK email from Jeff Brooks to Dave Bolton,Gary Dunlap & Jim Wimmler on Jan 4, 2011 they discussed the Romac/Crouch leases. Stating we (CHK) can purchase what we want cheaper if we buy it ourselves. And not have to pay the fees involved in the PSA. Which clearly shows CHK's intent to circumvent all parties involved. And some leases CHK"S title company (SULLIVAN LAND) running title on Crouch leases were turned down. Yet title was fine when CHK went behind Crouch and leased them on their own. And I have the documents to back these statements up. Idea Energy had agreed to purchase the leases in prior yrs yet never raised any funds. So he filed a claim of interest and the state allows anyone to claim any mineral property without any valid proof. Which clouded 100's of thousands of acres. The state refused to take any action yet they did in a case much like this involving Bakken Exploration. The AG even had a press releases for a cease and desist but denied owners protection in this case. Jim Gion was even made well aware of this but seem to be unable to take any further steps for a solution. Drew Combs (Land Management) promised a solution on May 16, 2011 within 24 hrs. Well to date nothing was done other than they forced the release of state lands only. Seem they set a precedence on the Bakken Exploration releases. So anyone faced with a cloud should consult a attorney to confront the state of ND. As for Chesapeake they continue to slither around like the snake they have always been. But maybe the recent news releases will help hamper their ability for a while. As it seems in the Crouch case much like other cases CHK most likely didn't have the cash to close anyway. They look more like Enron everyday. Even Enron stock was higher in the weeks prior to its crash. And from their own admission they have a major funding gap for this year. And are selling off assets where stable companies only buy in a down economy. Good Luck all on collecting from CHK or its many shell companies.