Heirs to Mineral Rights in Doddridge - West Union District

Robin,

Has anyone indicated to you how far back the Operator is obligated to pay you for royalties?

I just found that we have not received royalties on a well that is producing since at least 2005 and it could be back as far as 1996?

I am just curious?

Hi everyone! I'm back with an update. My siblings have all received Division Orders (I am still waiting for mine ... we moved, so it's on it's way). They came almost exactly 2 years after we signed our lease modifications. I was originally told that this means that Antero has broken ground for drilling and it would take 6-9 months before we could expect royalties. Can anyone that's now getting royalties share how long it was after the D.O. that the first check was actually received? Personal feedback means more to me than what I heard from the landman 2 years ago. Thanks!

I think you need a lawyer as there may be issues as to how far back you could go. They may say that you should have spoken up about not receiving past due royalties but if you had no knowledge (no notice, division orders and so forth) of the well and had never received royalties, it may be that you are entitled to royalty from first production. I would consult an attorney.

Congrats Robin ~ sounds like things are moving along for you! Nice to hear some good news!

My siblings received royalties from March 2015 when well started producing through May 2016. I should get my back royalty check on July 30, since I didn't get my D.O. until this last weekend. Yay!

Any reasons why yours was delayed so long? It will be a big check I expect. Congratulations!

Hi Robin,

My sister and I are doing research on our "newly" inherited mineral rights. We joined this forum today and just read your first entry. It sounds exactly like I wrote it, even the CA part. LOL . We read the entire string and would love to get in touch with you. I started my research a year ago, many hours, and have not attempted to do any more since last March. There is so much to tell, but before I type it all out I need to know if you are still checking post.

Hope to talk soon,

Sherri (& sister Sheila, Brother David)

Hi Sheila,

Sorry for the delay in answering your message. I would be happy to help in any way I can. I get a notification email whenever anyone posts here. If what you have been through could help others in a similar situation, please post. Or, if you'd rather, set up your own post. This is why I started this thread in 2014 ... to help others as well as receiving help myself. If you wish to contact me privately for any reason, send me a "friend request" so we can email each other back and forth (using the links in the top right of the page). Wishing you the best of luck and am looking forward to reading about your "story!"

Hi Nancy! Sorry for the months long delay in replying! I just saw this ... need to pay more attention to my notifications! About 15 months after the well was drilled and started producing, we received division orders. For some strange reason, they just collected the money and eventually decided that they'd better set up royalty disbursements with us. The Division Order specifically asked for routing and bank account numbers in order to set up royalty disbursement. We did receive a hefty "back payment" (all things considering) and are now receiving royalty checks on the last day of each month. So, the whole process from start to finish ended up, for us, taking 2 1/2 years. I received my back royalties a month after my siblings. Antero disburses on the last day of the month, so I had to wait until the end of the next month to receive it.

Better late than never!

Be prepared to pay taxes. Remember the depletion. You can take 15% off the total and pay taxes on the remaining 85% of royalty (not rental, like bonus money). Also, if they take any deductions, those should be indicated and can be deducted. Have you received a county tax bill yet? It would have been in July 2016 for 2014 production so you would not have any.

If you have the existing well api#s, you can get on the WVDEP website and find if there has been any production reported for the wells.

1 Like