Golden Valley County, ND - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

I doubt you are going to see much drilling in the western area of GV including Beach.

Maryanne, why do you say no drilling in the Beach area until maybe next year? And what do we mean by the Beach area?

Mr. Knitson, I will give you a possible reason. Whiting just bought Kodiak, along with all of Kodiaks headaches. I think it will take some time to digest. Kodiak was not doing that well, that’s why they did not sell at a premium.

I recognize that this question is a bit of a non sequitur.

Does anyone know if the various counties are continuing to digitize their property records? Most are good back until the 1980s or so, but then things drop off. The reason I ask is that I am still not convinced I have found everything, particularly because the person who knew is gone as are most of his records. I thought I had found everything, then I got a call last month and …

What recent round of seismic activity? Would you describe the sections it covered please…

I think Whiting has not given up on GV county, it’s just that GV county is what I would call true exploration and I would expect it to move at a slower pace and to be neglected at times when more immediate issues crop up.

I am with you RW on that one.

No problem… Whiting abstained from any new activity anywhere in North Dakota through the month of July. And then when the deal went through, they had a sudden flurry of activity in several prospects. Lately they’ve been pretty quiet everywhere in North Dakota. Their Colorado field has become a big prospect for them and I’m guessing they are moving some drilling assets to that field. I was under the impression, however, that they planned on keeping one rig active in Golden Valley and in the Big Island Prospect. So I guess their planners are just digesting the new status quo and making adjustments.

Mr. Murray, the counties only went back so far and that is the end of how far back they are going to go. There are rare exceptions such as documents that have a great deal of interest. Not all counties in ND have electronic records and probably none of them would if it were not for FEMA grants.

Sorry, Mr. Knutson for the typo on your name, it was late.

Being a mineral owner in the western part of GV county, I for one hope they haven’t given up in that area. Still waiting to hear what the most recent round of seismic activity showed for that area.

Whiting will have several rigs active in GV, they just are not drilling in that area this year… maybe next year they will be back.

Seismic permit number 970242. Completed in June. 139, 140, 141-103, 104, 105

I knew about Harold Hamm and Continental being in a spot with a divorce, I didn’t realize that Whiting was in a similar situation.

People often forget that the Bakken is not the be all and end all, that vertical wells in the state have given more bang for the buck than the johnny come lately horizontal wells. I know I need to be patient but I can hardly wait to get my first Red River well.

** I hate to go on these sites and to my own better good judgment ** I did.** **

Look at well # 26059, 26058,25395,25240,23280,26351,25134. Well # 20969 was not a RD and well 25792 just has a well head. I have been at each of these sites and if you would go to the DMR site and look at the GIS map you will see what each well is as

The wells so far in GV red river have been very good. Only one dry hole in KC Ranch but everything else is been profitable. Be patient.
Remember that if you lease (you keep 20% of your oil & the other 80% is sold back to the oil company) the bonus and royalty payments are taxed as ordinary income tax. Which is the highest tax for income. So don’t be surprised if your bonus check is taxed 34 % or higher. Uncle Sam will get his share, no way around it.
If you do working interest ( you keep 100% of your oil) is taxed at lower tax bracket and you can expense your cost of the well and pay much less to Uncle Sam.
While you are waiting for the well to drilled you may want to check with your CPA about the amount taxes your pay with that bonus check.

The cost of transportation is the major expense for getting oil to market, when we get a pipe line or rail port to move the oil drilling will pick up in GV.

Bruce, I’m not seeing what you are talking about either. I saw one where a dry hole overlapped a cancelled permit and looked like two, you have to zoom in to get details like that. Sometimes you have to zoom in to see whats what. Maybe you were mistaken about the numbers on the others and also are you sure they were all Red River that you were looking at? There certainly are a number of dry holes in the Red River from 20-30 years ago which I don’t totally discount, except when they are right next to a good Red River well.

What were the names if those wells?

26059 PNC cancelled is not a dry hole.

26058 producing well. 4,225 barrels in July. T-155 R101 sec.34

25395 KG Ranch, DRY. The Maus is less than 1/2 mile from this

25240 KG Ranch, DRY. Interesting that the Drilling Report for the KOG well Nelson 156-100-17-20-3H is in this wellfile.

23280 lost conductor and never got more than a few hundred feet down, conflicting whether it was to be a Red River or a Deadwood pool.

26351 Red River DRY, for a vertical well it is about as straight as a corkscrew, from the drilling logs there were promising indicators in several formations and I don’t think we will ever know the full story on this one.

25134 PNC (permit now cancelled) not a dry hole.

Do not be upset, if you are upset you didn’t learn anything and I know I did. Just because someone disagrees with you it is not a personal attack. I suspected that you were misinterpreting the symbols on the map and this seems to be part of what is going on here.

Everybody here wants the most accurate information they can get and I presume you do too? And that you would want to know? Bruce, I will thank you right now for contributing. Thanks.

I was looking at the GIS map for wells drilled in the Big Island. Wells starting with numbers 20000 and up. I found 5 vertical Red River wells and one Horizontal well that were dry.