Fayette and Lavaca County TX Oil Activity

I received one also. I told them to please re-submit with decent bonus.

Alan,

Are you roughly in the same area as AW1, SE of Flatonia?

No. A167 east of Flatonia on Louis Herzik road, just south of the nurseries that are on Hwy 90.

1 Like

Thanks. It will be nice to see some new activity in that area. I believe Tri-C had a couple of decent wells just north of there and maybe they’re trying to get a piece of that now that prices are (were - I think we just dropped $10/bbl over the weekend) up.

Since it appears they’re working directly for the operator (rather than being a flipper only) I wouldn’t be surprised if you can get some play on a better bonus. Good luck to you.

Hope so. Hope to hear from them again this week.

While most of the new activity has been happening north of LaGrange targeting the Austin Chalk , Penn Virginia just permitted 4 wells 3 miles southwest of Flatonia targeting the Eagle Ford. They are the Ricartorn A, B, C & D.

Here’s the RRC link: Ricartorn A Well Permit

It will be interesting to watch both the initial and 6 month production figures to see what they’ve got here.

Ribeye- Thanks for posting the Ricartorn notice.

1 Like

Matrix Revolution filed in October 2022 leases on about 1000 acres just southeast of Flatonia, mainly in Abstracts 167, 76 and 75. It seems most of those leases were signed toward the end of last year and also early in 2022, but some of those were more recently executed.

{For reference, Matrix had bought/taken over quite a few of the leases that Beland Energy initially executed in the Freyburg - Swiss Alp area back in 2017-2018. As far as I know, none of those were ever drilled and the leases I suppose all expired}.

We’ll keep an eye on the RRC site for any new drilling permits pertaining to this new acreage, and then see what kind of wells they’re able to bring in.

While most of the activity in Fayette has been north of LaGrange, this is in the SW part of the county. The existing wells there have targeted the Eagle Ford (rather than the Austin Chalk like up in the north), so it will be interesting to watch.

A bit further south in Lavaca County, Matrix has permitted a well, the Trinity Unit #1H located in A-11, back in June. They seem to be trying to put together a position in the Fayette-Lavaca County line area.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s very good information.

I pulled the W-1 from the RRC site and it appears that it will be primarily a gas well, but they haven’t filed a completion report yet. It does show a Spud Date of June 14, 2022.

For reference, it’s about 5 miles southeast of Moulton on the LaVaca river.

I’ll keep my eye out for a completion report. It will be interesting to see what they bring in.

1 Like

Good morning just wondering about activity east or west of Flatonia ? I heard drilling may be starting up soon ?

I’m leased with Matrix and north of Praha. Have not heard anything. Drilling where?

The leases that Matrix just filed are to the east of Flatonia and south of I-10/US 90.

We’ll have to keep an eye on the RRC site to see when they are granted a drilling permit (W-1), assuming they’ve already prepared and submitted all the necessary paperwork. As of yesterday, they haven’t been granted any new Fayette County drilling permits.

After they get a permit, I imagine a few eyes on the ground will be able to see them prepare a pad, and maybe they’ll even report it here.

I’m just hoping they get a decent well in order to prove up some good acreage in the SW part of the county. Most of the main action now is happening up north of LaGrange.

In Lavaca County, Penn Virginia just filed completion reports on the Cinnabar A and Cinnabar B wells, which had initial production of 1635 and 1401 BPD of oil respectively, which is pretty darn good. Those wells are 3 miles SW of Moulton.

In November, a whole slew of new leases were filed in Fayette County. In the SW part of the county, Rosewood Resources leased all around Flatonia in Abstracts 35, 75, 76, 167, 175, 180 and 318. Some of those were actually signed late last year and early this year, and some were more recent. I haven’t yet seen any Drilling Permits covering those tracts for them.

Things are happening in our part of the world, even with the up and down of oil prices lately. I wish I could share some info on what the bonuses have been, but I haven’t yet had a chance to talk to anyone who knows.

In March (2023), Rosewood Resources filed several more leases in the area east of Flatonia. Combined with the leases they filed late last year, they appear to be putting together quite a block of properties in the southwest part of Fayette.

I haven’t even looked at the latest report, so, the SW Fayette properties are still East of Flatonia. Thanks

These latest filings were east and southeast of Flatonia. The leases Rosewood filed in December included stuff slightly northwest, north, northeast and east of town. It’s quite a wide area, apparently.

I don’t know what it’s costing them per acre to get it all leased, but they’re spending some money. Then again, when a horizontal well costs about $5 million just to put in, po’ boys need not apply.

Ribeye,

Do you monitor Memorandum(s) of Lease that are recorded as your source of information? Or is there an easier way to monitor Rosewood’s leasing activities? Thanks

While I have spent some time in courthouses looking through dusty old deed records, that’s no longer necessary in many cases.

For example, you may want to subscribe to the free monthly ‘Lease Alert’ from Courthouse Direct for Fayette County.

They’ll send you a report every month of all the mineral filings in Fayette County. If you need more detail, they’ll be happy to sell it to you. Most will have a brief legal description containing the abstract number for the tract. Get you a Fayette County abstract map and you’re in business.

Here’s the link: Lease Alert from Courthouse Direct

I find it very helpful and I’ll bet you will too.

Baytex Energy Corp has acquired Ranger/Penn Virginia. They are a large Canadian based company with offices in Houston. They are making lease offers north of I-10 in southwest Fayette County. I was contacted yesterday by their contract landman, initial offer is $500/250 per acre 3 years/2years and 20% royalty. Obviously this is good news, it has been a long wait and Baytex brings a great deal of experience to the table. Will have to do some recon to see if we can get the lease bonus up. Offer was presented verbally, with documents to be mailed. So I have not yet seen the lease form.

1 Like